Pen Blank Swap is Shipped!

hey frank that walnut that dan took was from you???? it had his name on it??? and what ever is the case i can find some knife handle material if your looking for some..

hey frank that walnut that dan took was from you???? it had his name on it??? and what ever is the case i can find some knife handle material if your looking for some..

Thanks Larry. I have one knife project coming up but have ample material to select from for it.
I have lost track of the walnut. I have lots from various sources and have passed on quite a bit too. I don't usually put my name on the blanks.

I opened the box on the kitchen dining table and immediately got pushed aside as LOML wanted to look too... she had as much fun going through the box as I did... I then took it to the shop so I could go through it more carefully... what a haul.. must have been close to 100 pieces in the box... didn't count, but I took out about 20-25 pieces and put back at least that many or more from my stash..

1. The box

2. Contents spread out

3. What I took out

4. What I put in

I'll get it back in the mail and on down the line in a day or so... not planning any trips into town for until after my next show this weekend.

Forgot to post.. but put the box back on the road on Tuesday to it's next stop... some really nice stuff in there..

which walnut are you talking about larry? in the one pic there is a walnut blank with my name on it, right next to some antler. if that's the one, i've got about another 25-30 other brothers and sisters of that blank here at home. it's stuff that i've had for years and finally found a use for it. :D:thumb:

Lost track, do we have more than one pen blank swap box making the rounds? Hope this is the right thread. No matter, worse crises goin' on in the world.
I just received a big box of blanks from Mark. It is one of the swaps in progress.
Lotsa blanks in there, heavy box too.
Haven't dug through it yet. Whatever I take, I'll probably replace with some stabilized stuff. Won't say what, keep the mystery factor on high.
Thanks Mark.

Attachments

• box of blanks.jpg
    box of blanks.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 14
I thought we only had one going and I shipped it to you back in June or July...

Has another started I didn't even see or is the this the late one and you are one of the first to report..

I guess if there are names on the list then it's a 2nd lap....or a different swap..

Last edited:
I thought we only had one going and I shipped it to you back in June or July...

Has another started I didn't even see or is the this the late one and you are one of the first to report..

I guess if there are names on the list then it's a 2nd lap....or a different swap..

As I said, I have lost track. At one time we had two going.

da blanks

Two pics. One of all the blanks in the box now out of box.
Other is of the blanks I removed from the box, stabilized, then will repack to send along to others. Some maple, spalted maple, box elder, willow and other stuff in there. All should benefit from the stable process.

Attachments

• blanks out.jpg
    blanks out.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27
  • stabled blanks.jpg
    stabled blanks.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 30
Two pics. One of all the blanks in the box now out of box.
Other is of the blanks I removed from the box, stabilized, then will repack to send along to others. Some maple, spalted maple, box elder, willow and other stuff in there. All should benefit from the stable process.

Frank,
I know you've posted your process before, but too lazy to look for it this morning... how do you stabilize your blanks... some of those blanks in the bread pan have my initials on them, some of the spalted maple, the willow and box elder... I have a box of the maple probably close to or maybe over 100 blanks.... is your process something that could be done relatively easy, or does it require pressure or vacuum.. I don't have access to either. My box elder is about beyond the use stage... it would also benefit from the stabilizing process.

Frank,
I know you've posted your process before, but too lazy to look for it this morning... how do you stabilize your blanks... some of those blanks in the bread pan have my initials on them, some of the spalted maple, the willow and box elder... I have a box of the maple probably close to or maybe over 100 blanks.... is your process something that could be done relatively easy, or does it require pressure or vacuum.. I don't have access to either. My box elder is about beyond the use stage... it would also benefit from the stabilizing process.

I'll post in the turning forum. If it is worthwhile, maybe we can move to tips and tuts later.

I just realized that I never updated this thread. I sent the package back out on Monday of this week. The new owner should have it by now.
I didn't take any photos. I only traded a couple pieces so not much changed.