Pen Swap Partners (closed)

I actually got the blanks cut, drilled, and glued for Pete's pen last night (finally). With any luck at all, I'll get it turned tonight.

Pen received

I received a great looking pen in the mail yesterday from Gari. Not sure what the wood is though and the enclosed picture doesn't do the pen justice. Photography is not my strong point. Help me out with the wood Gari.

Your pen is finished and will be in the mail tomorrow. I will wait until you get it to give details.

Thanks for a great looking pen Gari.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 30
Glad you like it, Bobby!

The cigar pen's wood it Cocobolo, finished with EEE followed by a few coats of Shellawax friction polish.

I can't wait to see your pen!

-Gari

Tyler and I have now corresponded and exchanged addresses, etc., so our exchange should take place in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully before the end of the month--or I'll have to make a detour off I-40 eastbound to deliver his pen in person on my way to Tennessee.

Nancy

WOW THAT'S A DETOUR I WOULD LOVE YOU TO TAKE!!! It's only about 2 hours south to get to Lubbock from Amarillo. I would gladly meet you for lunch or dinner or whatever. Let me know when and where!:thumb:

Or I could just ship your to you. I still have yet to make it. Trying to decide what to use. I have the pen kit, just not ready to commit to a wood flavor. PH with OO and some spalted holly is running in the lead although the spalted elm burl or psl beam material is also running in the lead group only behind a hair. I have to decide by Monday.

Well, finally, I got some serious non-shop projects behind me and have time to make sawdust. Have pretty well decided what I'm going to make. Then dawns on me, I don't have a small tool rest for the new Griz. Monday off to weld shop.

Great Surprise

I had to work late last nite and was very pleasantly surprised by the box on the kitchen counter when I got home. Kevin Brown sent me a black titanium/platinum sierra made from river buffalo horn that is absolutely stunning. He also sent it in a leather pen case that is very cool. My photography sucks so the picture doesn't do it justice.

:D Needless to say I'm grinning ear to ear :D

This one's going in my pocket so I can show it off to everyone at work.

Kevin,
Yours is going out today, I'm sure I got the better end of the deal.

Attachments

• DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 30
Here is my swap pen from Billy Burt. As much as I like the pen, I got more enjoyment from the belly laugh it gave me when I opened the package. You see, Billy and I have a private joke going on. I sent him a box of Corian because I just couldn't get happy working with it. Tried laminating some and it came apart and I just didn't like how it turned. Well, some of it came back to me in the form of this very nice red-white-blue fountain pen. A keeper for sure. He also included some nice wood blanks. A bit of lagniappe. Thanks Billy.
My pen for Barry Stratton should go out today.

Attachments

• swap pen 1.jpg
    swap pen 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 20
  • swap pen 2.jpg
    swap pen 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 16
I'm glad you're happy w/it, my friend! I struggled for several weeks w/what to make you and I knew it had to be something special. Then one day I decided to try that blank and after I got it turned there was no question of what to do with it. It just seemed too obvious... at least to me.;)

I'm glad you're happy w/it, my friend! I struggled for several weeks w/what to make you and I knew it had to be something special. Then one day I decided to try that blank and after I got it turned there was no question of what to do with it. It just seemed too obvious... at least to me.;)

Thanks, Billy. Of course, it hits a patriotic chord with me too. :thumb:

Well Saturday I received a familiar looking box from Doug, but this time it was allot heavier! That's because not only did it contain a VERY nicely done Jr. Gent ballpoint, but three different burl blanks and some pen sleeves :D

Doug, please forgive me, but I have lost the note and forgot the type of wood for the pen :eek:

dougspen1 (600 x 402).jpg dougspen2.jpg

Thanks Doug, it's obvious you have "perfected" your finishing routine!

I'm putting Tyler's pen in the mail this afternoon. I took a couple of pictures, but I won't post them until I know he's gotten it.

Enjoy, Tyler!

Nancy

Pure sweeeeetnesssssss!!!

...........I got a beauty of a mesquite pen from Frank Fusco today!!! Great job and I really like that kit!:thumb: A huge THANKS Frank, greatly appreciated.

HPIM2019700x623.jpg

Yours will be mailed this week Billy:wave:

Kevin,
The wood was Massur Birch. I'm not sure I spelled it correctly but it's close. Have fun with the burls. You sent me such a great pen and pen case that I thought you needed something extra.

This has been a fun experience.

Bobby's Pen!

I received Bobby's pen yesterday, and it's great! It's made from Bloodwood and Tagua Nut, and I believe is a Sierra style pen (please correct me if I'm wrong!). The icing on the cake is that it's made to resemble the Canadian flags with the layout of the two materials, along with a lazer engraved maple leaf!

Thanks Bobby!
-Gari

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: