Picked up a Stihl today

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I really haven't had a need for a gas chainsaw, been getting by with an electric Remington saw that I bought for $25 twenty or so years ago, but the trees on the corner of my property haven't gotten a good trimming since I bought it. I also have some work to do on my wife grandparents barn where the back lean-to is falling down and there are some small trees in the way of it coming off in a good way, so I took the plunge and picked up a Stihl MS 250 today.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms250/

It made short work of the cedar trees that needed trimming so I can easily mow under them, took out about 9 mostly dead knock out roses that were 6' tall each, and pruned out some of the taller branches of a 9' tall lilac bush. All in all filled up my 5' x 10' trailer and the back of my truck bed to take to the yard waste place tomorrow.

I still have about 12 pin oaks that also need trimming up, so it's got its work cut out for it.

What a coincidence, yesterday i had to cut some stump at the new house and used my poulan for the last time i decided after chain came off and jammed. It took an age to start and more grief than pleasure to use.
I was going go to local stihl dealer to pick up a new one but deferred in favour of making hay while the sun shines.
After the pleasant reliable use i have had from my leaf blower/vacuum mulcher and same exerience with my weed wacker both fairly new recent Stilh acquisitions i have made up my mind to get a Stihl chainsaw and be done with aggravation.

Personally i concluded i am far more likely to injure myself with an unreliable untrustworthy saw. I admit i was being cheap when i picked up the refurbished Poulan.
My Chaps are worth double what i paid for the saw so i am not really out much when it goes to the graveyard.

Our Stilh dealers gave a promo on now that looks like we paying pretty close to the US prices so i will be picking one up this week.

Btw i was almost literally making hay yesterday.

Grass at new place had not been cut since March.
Even fully raised my Kubota tractor bogged down a couple of times on half mower width cuts.

Took 4 full pickup boxes of grass to local recycle dump for garden waste. Linda helped me rake grass onto tarps which we then rolled like sausages and lifted in pickup box and let out. Rinse repeat and after a full day place is looking respectable.
think belly mower now needs a service blades sharpening and zirks greased , maybe more.

Enjoy the saw. Do u have chaps??? face shield?? earmuffs???

Stihl's are pricey but worth it. Good dealer support is an added benefit. You made a great choice, because any job that doesn't require a new tool is just not worth doing.:D With that in mind, you might have used the opportunity to purchase a good quality small portable generator that would come in handy for a variety of other uses and just dragged your old tailed Remington out there. https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Watt-120-Volt-Portable-Generator/dp/B079YF1HF6

After the super hard work cutting all those trees and brush the Remington would probably give up the ghost, forcing you to buy a new Stihl gasser....two new tools from one job!!!:rofl:

Darren what length bar did you get?

In our local listings looks like most are offered with 16" i presume upgrade is an option to get more coin.

Yup, have the chaps, face shield, and muffs. Mine did have the 16" bar since it's the "Homeowners" version, but I think I did see there was an 18" bar too (at least at my store). This was one of their most popular models. They also had a promotion going that if you bought a 6 pack of the Stihl 2 in 1 synthetic oil, they double the warranty on their products. The chainsaw had a 1 year warranty, so now I've got 2 years. The guy in front of me bought a Stihl blower, it went from 2 years to 4 years on the warranty. Also all my other yard tools use 1:50 ratio, so the oil works for all of them too.

Last edited:
Stihl's are pricey but worth it. Good dealer support is an added benefit. You made a great choice, because any job that doesn't require a new tool is just not worth doing.:D With that in mind, you might have used the opportunity to purchase a good quality small portable generator that would come in handy for a variety of other uses and just dragged your old tailed Remington out there. https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Watt-120-Volt-Portable-Generator/dp/B079YF1HF6

After the super hard work cutting all those trees and brush the Remington would probably give up the ghost, forcing you to buy a new Stihl gasser....two new tools from one job!!!:rofl:

I like the way you think Ted! :thumb: :rofl: