Special Box

Ted Calver

Staff member
My Grandson passed away suddenly a while back and, true to form, I've procrastinated making something to hold his ashes. For the past several weeks I've been trying to put something nice together and here is the result. Michigan chocolate sides, ebony splines and spalted silver maple divider and lid, walnut and bronze pin hinges a la Rob Cosman, with antique English cast pedestal feet from Lee Valley. 11 3/4" Long, 9 3/4" wide and 8" tall. Not designed to fit standard columbarium niches, because it will reside with his mom. There is a 1 3/4" deep compartment under the lid for photos and memorabilia. Finish is shellac on the interior, Watco medium walnut danish oil on the sides and multiple coats of Minwax antique oil and wipe on poly on the lid. Cup magnet in the lid and steel striker in the top of the side keep the lid closed and a small eyebrow sanded into the top of the front side allow opening the compartment.
BOX-16.jpeg,BOX-18.jpeg , BOX-15.jpeg ,BOX-14.jpeg , BOX-13.jpeg,
, BOX-12.jpeg , BOX-10.jpeg , BOX-7.jpeg ,BOX-5.jpeg , BOX-6.jpeg ,BOX-21.jpeg

Very nicely done, Ted. I've only made a couple of urns, but found the process was very reflective. A lot of thoughts and memories crossed my mind while I was working on them alone in the shop. Condolences on your family's loss.

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts everyone. Young Robert suffered what is known as sudden cardiac death, caused by a rare genetic condition that causes thickening of the heart muscle (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). to the point where it can no longer function. We now know it came from his fathers side of the family. Treatable if detected early by a special genetic test. Who knew.

Ted,
My sincere condolences to you and all your family. It is always in life that the loss of a child / grandchild at any age is a sorrowful event beyond measure by your friends and well wishers. May you find peace in the work of your hands and heart that will comfort your grandson in peaceful rest.
mike calabrese