The reality of being old

I WOULD RATHER BE A SHARPENER THAN A PENCIL The reality of being old mike calabrese55 3-23-2024

I often use the common pencil that has been around long enough to barely stick out of the sharpener far enough to be held. Somehow that thought evolved into an analogy of a pencil to life lived..........maybe I am just too old or simply have been sharpened too many times but these thoughts seem to just float through my mind?

When a pencil is new it is long and strong and ready for making it's mark on the world.

As time goes by and that process of making a mark evolves, the pencil shows value and purpose, relevant to the time and task at hand.
In this process the pencil gives of itself unaware that the very purpose it exists creates the the condition of it's ultimate demise.

Think about it when the point is sharp the mark is crisp and true and by contribution and time it's marks broaden to possibly a greater contribution by adding some character and breadth of experience .

As time goes on failures will happen but the ability to rebuild that which creates the mark can be renewed to be as sharp as ever. Ultimately this comes also at cost that ironically accelerates it's remaining time. The failures that happen are effectively like burning a candle at both ends, eraser and re-pointed lead make a contribution to regroup.

In time the pencil becomes less vibrant, a little beat up and worn down. Weathered edges once crisp now worn down, eraser reduced to seclusion in metal that initially held it strong and proud. Simply by appearance it is easily overlooked even though it may actually be sharper than when bright and new. As a result of the time in grade it is simply overlooked irrespective of it's contributions past. A bit faded and weathered it silently yields to newer versions.

Reality, the journey through life is not unlike that of the common pencil. We share our abilities make our mark, and hope the record we leave will have lasting value for the replacements that are sure to follow.

calabrese55

I don't consider myself as old... I've just been here a long time.
I was 2 1/2 months old when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor..

And I forgot to take my pencil sharpener down in the shop when we moved... gonna miss that old and I do mean old school style pencil sharpner.
I'm not old either - just 81. My father, an immigrant living in a boarding house (private bedroom, shared other rooms) had a short wave radio and heard about Pearl Harbor before it was common news. He came downstairs and said "we are going to be at war." A single teacher living in the same boarding house swooned, was soon married, and I came a year later. I guess I was caused by Pearl Harbor.