Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsquare Drawer Holes

Unsquare Drawer Holes

I have finished the carbass of my workbench. It is the first workbench I have built. It is so long and has so many dividers, the drawer holes came out not square. If i took it apart, i would probably ruin it since the glue is already set.

I'm using 3/4 standard drawer slides. They are 22" deep and some are off up to 1/2".

My question: is there a method I could use to install my drawers, like with shims or something?

Or should I just consider installing shelves, putting a door on it and calling it a day?
    Kevin

In arte voluptas - in der Kunst liegt Vergnügen - in art lies enjoyment

If I understand correctly, the width of your drawer opening is a different dimension from the front of the opening as opposed to the back of the opening. That being the case, shims are your solution. Drawer slides must be mounted parallel to one another to function. Good luck.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Im confused as to what you mean by "off".
    Could you be a bit more specific? Also, a photo would help.

Is it as Carol states?
    If so then that would be the solution.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

You could measure each opening and make note of the narrowest dimension. Then make the drawer box for the width suggested for the slides you are using. When installing the slides, just use shims behind the cabinet member, or both the cabinet and drawer side (if necessary) to install the drawers. It would help to use a framing square on the bottom (under the drawer) to draw 90° lines back, to give you reference points to take measurements, which will allow the drawer to move straight in and straight out.

Correct: the width of the drawer opening is a different dimension from the front of the opening as opposed to the back of the opening.

Gonna be a fun evening. I'll chalk this up to a learning experience. I am pretty sure what I did wrong and if I would have just did a couple relatively simple things, I may have avoided this. Not having been to school for this, I learn now.

Thank you for your help. Since joining this site last week, you all have been really helpful and nice. I appreciate you all!
    Kevin

In arte voluptas - in der Kunst liegt Vergnügen - in art lies enjoyment

Well Kevin, you could always just make pyramid shaped drawers to go into the holes.

Many people beleive pyramids have super-natural powers, and you could claim you did it for that reason.

Just kidding--lol

Maybe some cell phone pics up close might help...

and one thing I know for sure, is if you mess something up once, and learn from it, you will never repeat it!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sadaj View Post
    ...Not having been to school for this, I learn now...
    I think it's safe to say most of us haven't gone to school for this. This forum, and others like it, are our "school", and mistakes like non-square drawer openings are our "extra credit". It's how most of us learn. Welcome to the class.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kevin welcome to my club. Making anything square is still my greatest challenge. Glad you asked this question because i have exactly the same problem and have been contemplating remaking my whole draw cabinet because of it. Worse in fact i got real cheap and used the kitchen draw rails ....never again. Now i got slides but have been procrastinating on how to go about fixing the problem. Going to be shims for me when it warms up.
    cheers

Kevin, what about a face lift? By that I mean a nice sheet of birch ply or something with all of the holes templated, cut out and installed on the front of the workbench so the drawers all work and who cares what the original plan was. If there is too much mismatch the cutouts could become the drawer fronts also making everything an optical illusion.

And also meant to say but ran out of energy, get the drawers all shimmed and working first. Then using the ply on the front, a faux cover masking the irregularities behind.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 03-20-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Welcome Kevin!

My, my. Out of square? Wow, sounds like me! Like Rob, getting things to come out perfectly square has been an elusive goal of mine for many years. Jonathan's solution is interesting and might be worth a look, but any way you decide to go will most like involve shims and a lot of fine tuning of the drawer fronts. Good luck!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com