Thread: Adirondack Chair - Finally Finished

Adirondack Chair - Finally Finished

WOW! That only took 8 months!

Genesis thread:
    Design thread:

Slow and steady wins the race, I guess. I've got to build a mate for this thing now too, uggggg. THAT one is going to get assembled, then sprayed. I've been referring to this project as "That Stupid Chair" for about 6 weeks now. Won't be able to take it outside until April or May....

I've got probably an honest to God 40-50 hours in this sad thing. Material prep was a bear. All of the 2x material is #2 pressure treated pine of various widths. I carefully examined all my stock and cut around knots and imperfections. There's only 1 knot in the entire chair. I handplaned every square inch of every single board. Then I pre-drilled and counter-sunk about 80% of the holes. Next I stained everything. Finally, I assembled it.

Here are the finished photos. Took so long that I've lost the few in-progress shots I took. You can see there are lots of Arts & Crafts / Art Deco elements.

I think I like the little cloud-lift like shape on the lower front cross bar and the rising shapes on the under arm supports best.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice or ideas.

Now I can get to work on something I want to! Wine glass caddies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06957sm.jpg   DSC06956sm.jpg   DSC06955sm.jpg   DSC06954sm.jpg   DSC06951sm.jpg  

Reno NV
    Looks comfy and sturdy! Ahh, if only it was warm out and you could sit on the deck with a glass of wine...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I like the design. Looks like great work as well. Nice job
    Faith, Hope & Charity

S E Washington State
    Great looking chair.
    "We the People ......"

Kansas City, Missouri
    Those look great David, perhaps you can get some use of them this weekend with the warmer weather we're supposed to get.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yorktown, Virginia
    I see an Adirondack chair with a built in wine/glass caddy in your future! Well done. Your patients paid off and the cloud lifts add a nice touch. The next one will go smoother, right?

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Eight months or eight days...eight years from now you'll still be sitting in it wondering how time does fly....nicely done David
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else