12" Delta Bandsaw Cool Blocks

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a 12" delta bandsaw for many years now. Several years ago I replaced the original steel guide blocks with the cool blocks, but those have become worn over time also, so I'm looking for a replacements. Should I stick with the cool blocks or has anyone had any experience with the ceramic blocks? Such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Bandsaw-Ceramic-Guide-Blocks/dp/B00PGCGZ8I/

I wish there was a roller bearing type replacement such as the ones you can get for the 14" model, but not found one yet for this saw.

Note that it's an UPPER guide ONLY. You'll still need to do something about the lower guides.

I had the ceramic guide on my old TaiChi 14" saw, and they worked quite well.

For 'replacement' cool blocks, just cut some hardwood (maple, teak, Ipé, beech, etc.) sticks and use them instead. They'll work at least as well as the cool blocks, but are a lot cheaper!

Note that it's an UPPER guide ONLY. You'll still need to do something about the lower guides.

I had the ceramic guide on my old TaiChi 14" saw, and they worked quite well.

For 'replacement' cool blocks, just cut some hardwood (maple, teak, Ipé, beech, etc.) sticks and use them instead. They'll work at least as well as the cool blocks, but are a lot cheaper!

Ah, that is true, wasn't thinking about the lower set. I'll take a look to see how those are connected and if there is a setup to replace them as well, but otherwise I may just try the ceramic ones.

Well I did some measuring and the guide on ebay should fit my machine. Also looked at the bottom guide and it appears to be the same part as the one on top, just bolted on upside down. So I've emailed the seller to find out if it would fit both top and bottom.

My smaller saw is used mostly for curve cuts. I found the cool blocks well suited to this as I could literally capture smaller blades with no fear of fouling the tooth set when the blade was exposed to twist. Small blocks of hardwood also work well for this.

I received the first guide set from the ebay seller. I took apart the bandsaw tonight and the bottom guide is the same part as the upper one.
2018-10-22 20.11.34.jpg 2018-10-22 20.11.41.jpg

So I went ahead and ordered another, should be here later this week. I'm looking forward to having this saw cut straight for once.

You have had it many years, so you must be happy with it. I once has a 12" bs and hated it. Now, we all know a bs blade must be sharp to track straight, but for a small bs, like a 12" that is ultra important. I could not keep mine (an old Craftsman) tracking no way-no how. Ennyhow, i was also going to suggest just some hardwood for the blocks. Maple would be a good choice. And, I'll betcha would work just fine.