7 1/2" Pecan Wood Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Yes, I managed to get this finished a bit ago. Had to leave the sides a bit thicker than usual to maintain "structural integrety" due to the various cracks in the wood. All were sealed up with clear glue and dust from the shavings. Me thinks it will be a great display bowl from someone's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or some other tasty treats. 7 1/2" in diameter, 4" high, 3 1/4" deep, 6 cups volume. Sealed several times with walnut oil. Not sure how many coats were given as I kept finding things to correct on it as I went along. The finishing was my usual combination of shellac and walnut oil based wax.

Attachments

• BLP282.JPG
    BLP282.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BLP282A.JPG
    BLP282A.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BLP282B.JPG
    BLP282B.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
  • BLP282C.JPG
    BLP282C.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP282D.JPG
    BLP282D.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
  • BLP282E.JPG
    BLP282E.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP282F.JPG
    BLP282F.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BLP282G.JPG
    BLP282G.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6
I love the richness of color you were able to achieve. Most of the time pecan is not that dark in my experience but your bowl is very luscious with this darker color.

I have always enjoyed turning pecan although I have not had the opportunity to turn all that much of it.

Thanks, all! This bowl came from what I call "aged" wood. It came from a slab about 5" thick that sat out in all the good Texas weather for about 2 years. I have one more out there the same age, same tree, etc. But, not as thick. Both had a severe crack in them that limited the size of the bowl. I have several smaller logs (12" dia) that are aging but they were cut down back in September. A lot of pecan is lighter in color. I know the aging I do helps but a lot just depends on the environment of the tree. And whether it was limb or trunk wood. Trunk wood seems to usually be a bit darker. Just going on practical experience and not arbor education.

The figuring looks interesting, is the natural growth prone to twisted grain? What little attention I was able to give the orchards whilst driving through Parker county in the late 1980's in my one an only trip to the Texas area left an impression that it might be.

Chas, most pecan that I have seen and turned, which is a lot, seems to have some swirling in the grain pattern. What you refer to as twisted I am sure is what I am calling swirls. I have always loved turning pecan as it is fun to turn and sells well.

Is that a natural color on the pecan? What I have in pecan is much lighter color with some dark streaks occasionally.... and I saw a slab that a friend had that was spalted... would almost have killed to have had that piece to turn.... he made some kind of display board for his knives from it.

Yes, Chuck. It's the natural color. The slab that it came from had been sitting out in the weather for around 2 years. Heat, cold, rain, snow, ice. All of it. That helps give it the color it has. Some of the trees I have taken down in the past were in a really wet area which seems to play a big factor in the color. This wood, came from a branch that about 2' in diameter, whereas the trunk at the base was about 5'. Still standing in the great metropolis of Annetta, just west of Aledo, which is west of Fort Worth. That tree is one of I think it is 6 of them about the same size all in a row near a fence line.