a recess needed in a panel

larry merlau

i wanted a radiused edge then the main field to be .25" deep. if i had a cnc it could be done easily but how do i get there without a cnc? needs to be certain size.

Having a hard time understanding what it is you need. Is this like a round bottomed 'groove' (like a cove bit would make) around the perimeter of a panel? Are we talking about a raise panel door with a groove around the panel, or what?

A bowl bit and a large temporary plate for your router is what I picture. I have done some bowls with bowl-bits ad there is still a lot of sanding to do to make things smooth in appearance. One door would be fine but, I wouldn't want to do a set this way ;-)

I would look at maybe a veneered plywood panel with coved trim as an alternative(?). Am I seeing it right?

Attachments

• larry-1.jpg
    larry-1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 7
i am trying to get a bowl cut like darrens last bit , 1/4" deep on the top insert to allow for the machines thread cutter and the top of the machine.. its to high for the lift to be in down position and have the insert fit flush. i have a bowl bit but no bearing on it. and looked at just a straight cutter, but then the stepped area is tuff to sand smooth.