Ambitious Office Project

I'm right out in the sticks and UK based, so I think all will be well.

I've just started cutting the biscuit slots in the side of the shelves for the library. Three size 20 biscuits in each shelf side. The back is 9mm ply - I was wondering whether to put a size zero biscuit in the centre of the 76cm shelf back... or is this overkill? Should I just pin the backs on all round?

Anyways 8/42 shelves done :eek:) Slow work!

Well I dug out a little compressor that has been in storage, and an air-fired brad nailer; and started to apply some of the edging strips to the shelves. WHOA! It is awesome how a pile of wood can start to feel like a project coming together! Getting quite excited by it all now! Filled the little nail holes, and it starts to feel like it might come together! Lots of work to go though. Will post pics when something substantial is complete

:)

Sorry it has all gone a bit quiet - a few other things have taken priority recently... the builders came and replaced the floor which forms the ceiling of the office - as the old beams were full of woodworm. The staircase wasn't that much better either - so I am hoping to get a new one made in Sapele to match the panelling; which I think will look rather smashing.

We're in the process of having our roof replaced; as with winter coming, and leaks all over the place it got to be a bit of a joke. This will create dust and mess - so the build has been put off until things have finished.

All of the wiring is now in the office... there are a set of KEF speakers in the ceiling which look like downlighters; a host of low-energy CFL downlights in the ceiling - so just waiting to get back to the build.

I've been steadily collecting components for the office - picked up some beautiful doors that have been veneered in Cross Banded Sapele and Kevazingo with a little black line - and the drawers, which are nice - machine cut dovetails, drawer ply sides, kevazingo veneered fronts with a little cock bead. Like I said.. it is a "cheats build" sourcing a kit of parts and putting them together, but I am sure the result will look good.

Will try and post some pictures soon.

Thanks for the update, Gavin. Your project is perhaps a bit slowed, but not stopped. :thumb:

And since I made this a while back for a Welsh friend of mine, I figured you might get a kick out of it. (She punched me in the arm, actually.)

Save%20the%20Wales%20400.jpg