car plaque

Nice, Dan! I'm sure your friend will appreciate the effort.

My first car was a '53 Chevy. My dad helped me buy it in '63 when I graduated from tech school and headed for my first 'real' job.

yup, running 80 inches per minute, at 100% power. the plaque is 8x10 inches. the photograph is done at 254 dpi. gotta remember, the laser doing the engraving is only 1mm in diameter.

a friend of my brother brought her 53 chevy to the party on saturday. i got a pic of it, and decided to do a laser engraving of it.
View attachment 121594View attachment 121595View attachment 121596View attachment 121597View attachment 121598
Dan,

Please forgive me. I know you added the laser to your CNC machine.

Personally, I have been thinking of adding it to my CNC router. I already have a 100 watt 20" x 30" laser machine BUT, BUT, there are certain advantages to having the laser directly on the CNC machine. I have thought about it, but a bit unsure about the quality to time aspect.

I am very analytical, and that is on me, not you. I am not being judgmental in any way. I am simply curious about the fine details. It's just my analytical nature. No judgement towards you in any way.

So what is the wattage of your laser?
What is the focal distance?

no worries leo, been a long day. the laser set up is it's own machine. a chinese laser set up that the wife :blah: bought for me, and i added the laser from jtech photonics. turns out the original chinese laser, advertised as 15 watt, was barely 6 watt for output. the 15 watt was the power going into the laser. if you are looking to set up something small, so you won't have to break out the death star, or fire up the cnc, i would suggest there is a site out there, similar to openbuilds, whose name escapes me, that has a boatload of plans that can be adapted to make a small laser setup, and all you need do, is get the rails, and such, for building the framework. then give jtech a call, to see what you need as far as the laser, and other bits to run it. as far as pictures go, i found the sweet spot for me, in lightburn, is 254 dpi, with a jarvis dither, 80 ipm, and 100% power. i have the 7 watt (and it is 7 watt output) pro version, and the focal distance is 1/8 inch from the bottom of the shroud, and jtech supplies a plastic 'coin' that is just that thick to measure with. my set up is 26 inches wide, by 22 inches deep, the bench is on a mobile platform that is 24 x 48 inches. i almost forgot, the laser shroud is on a magnetic back, and it is attached to a metal plate that is on the original z axis.
IMG_20220619_175117945.jpg