Christmas presents

Two out of three turned items won a place in the Latheland forum.

I made four of these for #1 and my DILs. The picture doesn't show much. Pastry boards with a French rolling pin and a small bowl for the extra flour. The boards are White Ash (I know, not the best choice but it's what I had) with Walnut trim. The rolling pins and bowls are Cherry. #1 wife and two of my DILs are accomplished bakers and the third DIL has caught the bug. I started to put a lip on the opposite ends to hold against the counter top and make them reversible but I just ran out of steam. They can spread a dish towel under them to keep them from sliding and they are still reversible to use for a cutting board. I mixed up small bottles of mineral oil/beeswax for each of them to keep the finish.

I'm starting next years Christmas presents in February next year. That way I can take my time.

Alan

IMG_0820.jpg

In addition to the pastry board, I also made, for #1 wife, two other cutting boards...

Pistachio
IMG_0916.jpg
Mesquite on the outside, then alternating Walnut and Cherry.
IMG_0914.jpg

So, today, I come in from working in the yard and the house smells like Gumbo! Yes! That's what I'm talkin about!

Well, I know making Gumbo entails lots of cutting, chopping, slicing, etc., etc., etc.... all things that would be done on a "Grade A" cutting board. I look at both of them, because I'm curious as to how they stood up to the test....

Not a mark on either one of them... not even a water mark...

I say, "Hey, whassup with not using the cutting boards?" She says, "Oh, they're too nice to cut on!" .....

Ok, I guess I can live with that. I'll just whack off a 1' piece of #2 1x12 for her to cut on...

I'm glad she appreciates them and the work that went into them.

Alan

Last edited:
@Toni Ciuraneta

You gotta go to somebody's yard that has a Pistachio tree they want cut down. #1 son trims/removes trees for a living. A mutual friend had a male tree that he didn't want in the yard any more since it was never going to have any pistachios on it. I got the main trunk and let it dry for some number of years (long enough to start to rot, but less than 6). I finally got the mill set up and milled out what was left of it. Now I wish I had saved every branch too. When cut green it is incredibly gummy and the sap sticks and stains everything it gets on including human skin. After years of air drying the gumminess was gone. It is really strong and heavy. I turned one small bowl also and the wood peels away like cheese with a sharp tool even though it is very hard.

It is rather unique and I am surprised there is not more of it in woodworking circles, especially in woodturning where going in circles is the norm....

Alan