Craftsman 351.217150 / Palmgren Lathe

Joe Messi

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a novice wood turner. About a year ago, I bought a Craftsman 351.217150 because I wanted to learn the skill and the lathe was offered at a cheap price. Recently, I stripped out the leadscrew in the tailstock. It was a stupid mistake on my part but thats the way it goes. Does anyone have replacement parts for these things? I've been checking ebay and craigslist but this lathe seems to be not too popular. I also heard it was a piece of junk although I've had pretty good luck with mine to this point. Before I take it to the dump and spend at least two grand for an equivalent Jet or Grizzly, I thought I'd ask in the forum here. I also sent a email to Palmgren but they haven't responded so I assume I am SOL with them.

Its a 15" swing to the bed. The actual measurement from the bed to the center is approximately 7-5/8". It was built by Palmgren (Illinois?) for Craftsman. Palmgren also sold them under their own name until early 2000's.

Last edited:
Have you taken it apart and taken any pictures of the part. Sometimes an image search on google has yielded results for me. Also could check with a local machine shop to see what they would charge to make one. You might need to take the quill along for them to fit the new one to.

I'll post a photo on here tonight. I didn't even think of doing an image search. Thanks for that suggestion. I am guessing that a local machine shop would charge more than the entire value of the lathe but I can try that. I'm really hoping that someone has one that they are parting out and sees this. Otherwise, I will probably part out this machine.

Note looks like it was sold as the Palmgren 84315 (also wildly unavailable). Looks like it was kind of an odd duck size wise so I think you're hope for finding one someone is parting out is your best bet.

I'm not sure I'd spend a huge amount on it given the paucity of parts (and relatively complexity) of the rest of the lathe as it seems like you could pretty quickly start sinking more good money after bad on this one.

The G0632Z and is on sale a g0733 are on sale at the moment :D. (also holy cow the jet 1642 is almost a grand more than I paid for my PM3520 now!!)

I used to own that model lathe. I wouldn't call it junk (I was able to make some nice pieces with mine), but they can be a maintenance nightmare. Parts were hard to find 15 years ago, so I can only imagine how hard they are to find now. If E-Replacement Parts doesn't have it, you might be better off just having a machine shop make you a new lead screw. Or you might be able to find another Craftsman (or Palmgren) lathe that's the same model and cannibalize the parts off of it. Most people who have that model end up selling to upgrade to a better lathe, so there should still be used ones available for sale.

I eventually sold mine and purchased a Powermatic 3520B that has served me very well. The Grizzly G0632Z and the Jet equivalent are a bit smaller, but generally have good reviews. Having an electronic speed control is a nice step up from the Reeves drive you're currently using, especially if you're wanting to turn bowls and other larger items.

I'm not familiar with that lathe. What is the swing on it? I'm guessing that it may have been a clone of other Chinese lathes and wonder if maybe parts from or an entire tail stock of the same swing would fit on it.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/370948877777

Edit: Welcome to the forum, BTW! :wave:
Unfortunately, that's for a smaller mini-lathe.

Ryan, I am liking the idea of a new Grizzly more and more. I see the sale ends in early January which gives me a couple of more weeks to scrounge up a new screw. I doubt I will find one but I'll keep the old girl and sooner or later a replacement part will come along.

Jim, I went to eReplacement but they didn't have anything. I'm not surprised.

Vaughn, I never considered it a junk lathe either. The reeves pulleys were interesting, and once I figured out how to remove and reinstall the tension spring without killing myself, maintenance was almost a breeze. My only gripe was that the slowest speed was not really slow. Certainly much more than 400 rpm.

Heres a photo of my buggered leadscrew. I need to be less enthusiastic in the future when it comes to drilling a hole.
IMG_20231219_184849838.jpg

The Grizzly G0632Z and the Jet equivalent are a bit smaller, but generally have good reviews.
Bigger than the craftsman by an inch though... :cool::unsure:😁

I have maxed out the 3520 on a few occasions but would probably have been really close to as happy with a 16" lathe for about 97% of what I've done with it (I've actually considered getting a midi to have setup for small stuff... the B series headstock is a bit chonky). Overall though.. no real regrets on having a nice lathe... One of the funner tools in the shop by far.

Heres a photo of my buggered leadscrew. I need to be less enthusiastic in the future when it comes to drilling a hole.
Wow, that did a number on it! I wouldn't have thought it would be very easy to grub off the threads like that even with a real heavy hand drilling :oops: I have to wonder if something else was going on (something with the lead screw locking mechanism rubbing on it or something?) I'm also kind of wondering what the condition of the inside threads are on the tailstock.. and even if you fixed the lead screw is the mating part in as bad or close to as bad of a situation.

It would certainly be possible to even fix that one by building it up with a bit of weld and then cutting new threads on a metal lathe.. whether or not it'd be WORTH it is another question altogether.

I assume there is a key way in the smoother side, but even with that most machine shops should be able to reproduce that part, or as Ryan said, they may be able to build the thread side up and re-turn those threads

...Vaughn, I never considered it a junk lathe either. The reeves pulleys were interesting, and once I figured out how to remove and reinstall the tension spring without killing myself, maintenance was almost a breeze. My only gripe was that the slowest speed was not really slow. Certainly much more than 400 rpm...
Yeah, I hear ya. That spring can be a rocket launcher. I built a "tool" out of scrap metal and allthread to hold tension on the Reeves spring while I pop off the C clip, and then slowly release the tension. I used it to put things back together, too. And I fully agree about the fast slow speed. Things could get pretty Western trying to rough out an off-balance bowl.