Don't fence me in

No such luck, which is a good thing. Presumably, I would have to give up 50% of he creative freedom if I were to get 50% of the cost.:eek::rofl:

Shoot, I'd pay at least 75% of it for you to do that kind of creativity to not see me. :D

Better be careful, they might come up with some ploy for you to do the rest of their yard.;)

I cant believe Indiana makes someone pay 1/2 for a fence that someone else installs.
We have height regulations here, like no higher than 4 feet on side of house, no higher than 3 feet in front of house, 6 feet around back yard, and you must put the good side facing the neighbor.
rennie, that fence is so pretty I think you should do your entire property with it.

They are a strange but well meaning and neighborly bunch,
The-Addams-Family-01-4.jpg

except for the 6 cars, one motorcycle, and the RV. Of course the RV takes up all of the driveway so the 4 of the 6 cars are usually parked along the side of my property, 2 in front of theirs, and the MC is often is parked in the middle of the sidewalk in front of their home.

Actually, speaking of local laws... Around here if you block the sidewalk you'd be ticketed within 24 hrs. Ditto for overnight parking on the street.

Fence looks lovely, Rennie. Your landscaping is definitely increasing the curb appeal of your place!! :thumb:

Going to be a nice fence, but I also glad I read the thread, reminds me, when I read all the rules and regulations, why I live out in the country. My wife wants to move to town, I know, if we do I am going to shrivel up and die! There are places in town that even tell you how long you can keep your garage door open and it is just about long enough to drive or drive out. I will not be able to handle it.

Hey, Indiana does not have open range laws. I built all of the fences on my farm and paid for all of the costs. Most people don't have livestock so it is a somewhat archaic law. But when two neighbors share a fence, both sides damage it and shorten its life so it is fair. Had any of my neighbors complained about the fence, then they would have been given a dollar value they owed me. Guess they could read my mind.

Fence laws are the same where i had my last home. Its a requirement that should u alter the builders fence which is diamond mesh fence, and wish to put up a wooden one, then you either get agreement from neighbor to go half or you put the fence 6 inches into your property line. Then if neighbor does not wish to pay half they may provide permission for fence to go on property line. If there was no fence then neighbor is obligated to pay half the cost of a diamond mesh fence.
In the case of my prior NN we actually agreed right off the bat to share costs, but their illusion as to how one treats waste and just exactly where the property line was, began all our acrimony. We had live in peace together for years until they found out where the real property line was and they gave the fence contractor a hard time over less than an inch in placement. Sad but true. Paul i agree with u.

Just to be balanced i think its fair to put perspective to the parking on street law here, if it were not done we would not have clear roads in winter. But i cannot understand the logic behind it in summer. Except in some subdivisions cases where roads are so narrow that parking both sides prevents sufficient emergency vehicle access. I have no problem when these laws are created for sound logical practical reasons but some really make you wonder.
You also dont really want to live like people in SA have had to do as a result of crime and totally wall yourself in with high fences and barbed wire on top. You then might as well be in jail .

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

with things like fences, you have to be real careful what you do.
may be ok with a neighbor you've known for 15 years, but if someone new moves in, you might end up having to rip the fence down if it is less than an inch onto a neighbors property.
We had a friend that had to rip down a pool deck because it was too close to a property line, even though it was there for 10 years, the new neighbor filed a grievance, and it had to come down.
ok, we should get back on topic, sorry for wandering away rennie.

Lori wants to put a fence up along one of our property lines, the neighbor there is quite obnoxious at times, and encroaches on the line every chance he gets (sheds too close to the line, etc...). I don't speak with him anymore, one day he tried to give me some 'friendly advice' ending it with 'I'm trying to be a good neighbor'. I replied with 'no, you're not, you're trying to get your way over something on my property, and you're far from a good neighbor'. Lori and Pat deal with them when they have to, but I wouldn't call 911 if their house caught on fire (again).

great job rennie,, now if all of us could make our landscape match our style preferences like you have the neighborhood would be much nicer to look at in some places:)

Very nice Rennie.

How deep did you go for your posts as a matter of interest? And did you use any concrete in the hole?

Any comments from the neighbors. I would have thought they would have been out to give you a hand or not? Some people you cannot shame into action so. But I would also imagine you would not quiet want labor of that kind around. At least I would not.

Very nice Rennie.

How deep did you go for your posts as a matter of interest? And did you use any concrete in the hole?

Any comments from the neighbors. I would have thought they would have been out to give you a hand or not? Some people you cannot shame into action so. But I would also imagine you would not quiet want labor of that kind around. At least I would not.

I went down 21 inches on each post. There is a half a bag of quickcrete in each hole. The neighbors like the fence, but did not offer any assistance. 21 inches was the maximum I could go and still keep the post high enough because of the offset from each panel. Next to the transformer I was digging directly over the mainlines, so I am glad I did not have to go to deep!