Got some "new" toys.

John Pollman

On Sunday, I took a drive and picked up a sweet vintage Delta 6" jointer. Then today, I took another drive and got him a little brother. Another vintage Delta, but 4". The little one needs some work, but that's OK, I wanted a project. It needs restoration and a motor. I just got a buddy to help get them into the shop. I just found out that the 6" is 70 years old, and the 4" is 68 years old! Paid $350 for the 6", and $50 for the 4".

Delta jointer 6-1.jpgDelta jointer 6-2.jpgDelta jointer 6-3.jpgDelta jointer 4-1.jpgDelta jointer 4-3.jpgDelta jointer 4-3.jpgDelta jointer 4-4.jpgDelta jointer 4-5.jpg

Last edited:
I've gotta quit spending for a while, but I just discovered that I can get a Shelix head for $309. That's coming down the road a bit.
🙂

. Another vintage Delta, but 4". The little one needs some work, but that's OK, I wanted a project. It needs restoration and a motor.
I didn't want a project, but got one anyway.... I have a little desk top jointer from Portec, or something like that... I bought it new and have used to extensively, but last month the drive belt slipped off the motor shaft and I'm have a devil of a time getting it back on.... the motor is inside the housing and you go in through the bottom to do the belt... not enough room in there for your hands or tools and I can't see a way to loosen the motor to give me some slack... it's turning into a project.
The manual says to lay it on it's back on the ground and remove the bottom cover... etc etc...
1. don't want to lift it down to the floor. it weight about 70 or 80 lbs.
2. don't want to get down on the floor... the knees don't like to push me back up and I would have to crawl to something I could use to pull myself up.
3. don't know if I could lift it back up to the work stand if I were able to fix it.
4. even if I could do 1,2& 3 not sure I can figure a way to put the belt back in the space I have to work in.
5. it's hell to get older... (aint old yet, just older than I was last week.)

I didn't want a project, but got one anyway.... I have a little desk top jointer from Portec, or something like that... I bought it new and have used to extensively, but last month the drive belt slipped off the motor shaft and I'm have a devil of a time getting it back on.... the motor is inside the housing and you go in through the bottom to do the belt... not enough room in there for your hands or tools and I can't see a way to loosen the motor to give me some slack... it's turning into a project.
The manual says to lay it on it's back on the ground and remove the bottom cover... etc etc...
1. don't want to lift it down to the floor. it weight about 70 or 80 lbs.
2. don't want to get down on the floor... the knees don't like to push me back up and I would have to crawl to something I could use to pull myself up.
3. don't know if I could lift it back up to the work stand if I were able to fix it.
4. even if I could do 1,2& 3 not sure I can figure a way to put the belt back in the space I have to work in.
5. it's hell to get older... (aint old yet, just older than I was last week.)
Chuck,
My 1-5 are exactly the same.

This isn't a restoration group, but look what I'm doing with the 68-year-old Delta 4": jointer that I just picked up. I brushed on some Evaporust Gel and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Then a light spray of water from a spray bottle and hit with a fine bristle wire brush and fine steel wool. Wiped it down with a rag and then rinsed it with water and dried it. MAGIC!
This thing is gonna be pretty when it's done!

Delta 4 inch 1.jpgDelta 4 inch 2.jpg