Help and advice on wood burning/pyrographic tools

Jennifer Braud

I would like to get a good wood burning tool for several individual projects and ask myself if there are any features or things I should look for in a quality tool. Are there any special accessories that I need to purchase? Are there some brands that are exceptionally good? Is there anything I should avoid? What kind of power should I get?

I've seen some of them with 30 watts, and some with 60 watts - can 60 watts be the best tool? I have seen some of them that represent a combination of soldering and firing wood... I had no idea that you could use a soldering tool to fry wood.

Burners are used a lot by wood carvers. I suggest you look for a site or forum specifically dedicate to carvers. And, check out catalog sites that sell carving supplies to carvers. Good burners can get expensive. Cheap ones will frustrate you.

A lot depends on your budget. As far as I understand it, the two major brands are Burnmaster and Razertip. Most folks who are serious about woodburning use a system that has a power unit and a variety of separate burning pens. I have a Burnmaster Eagle power unit and several Razertip woodburning pens. But that setup cost me several hundred dollars. The Burnmaster Hawk is a bit less expensive, but just as effective as the Eagle. Razertip also makes a good power unit, but I've not used one. Both companies make a bunch of different burning pens, and the two brands are compatible with each other.

I don't have any experience with less expensive systems, but the key things (at least for me) are the ability to adjust the power (temperature) and the availability of a variety of burning tips (or pens). Razertip makes burning pens that accept a variety of tips, or you can buy multiple pens with non-interchangeable tips. I believe there are also units that are essentially glorified soldering irons with adjustable temperature controls, but I'm not sure what kind of variety is available for tips.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I have a setup similar to Vaughn's. It's pricey, but does a great job. The various tip shapes make it very versatile.

From your description, I think you're looking a 'soldering iron' type systems. I had one of them many years ago. They work, but they're sorta clumsy and it's hard to get good details with them.

I'd second Paul's recommendation to check out Lora Irish's site. Shes a great resource. Nice lady, and a great carver. I've contacted her a couple times for advice, and she's been quite helpful.

Oh yeah - Welcome to the forum!

A lot depends on your budget. As far as I understand it, the two major brands are Burnmaster and Razertip. Most folks who are serious about woodburning use a system that has a power unit and a variety of separate burning pens. I have a Burnmaster Eagle power unit and several Razertip woodburning pens. But that setup cost me several hundred dollars. The Burnmaster Hawk is a bit less expensive, but just as effective as the Eagle. Razertip also makes a good power unit, but I've not used one. Both companies make a bunch of different burning pens, and the two brands are compatible with each other.

I don't have any experience with less expensive systems, but the key things (at least for me) are the ability to adjust the power (temperature) and the availability of a variety of burning tips (or pens). Razertip makes burning pens that accept a variety of tips, or you can buy multiple pens with non-interchangeable tips. I believe there are also units that are essentially glorified soldering irons with adjustable temperature controls, but I'm not sure what kind of variety is available for tips.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Thanks. Internet reviews also recommend the Razertip Dual Burner (I do not know if it is possible to embed links to Amazon). I will probably dwell on it, but now it costs an average of $ 280 on the Amazon. But my budget is still 200. I’ll wait a while and collect the required amount.

Last edited:
I have a setup similar to Vaughn's. It's pricey, but does a great job. The various tip shapes make it very versatile.

From your description, I think you're looking a 'soldering iron' type systems. I had one of them many years ago. They work, but they're sorta clumsy and it's hard to get good details with them.

I'd second Paul's recommendation to check out Lora Irish's site. Shes a great resource. Nice lady, and a great carver. I've contacted her a couple times for advice, and she's been quite helpful.

Oh yeah - Welcome to the forum!

What is Vaughn's?

Thanks. Internet reviews also recommend the Razertip Dual Burner (I do not know if it is possible to embed links to Amazon). I will probably dwell on it, but now it costs an average of $ 280 on the Amazon. But my budget is still 200. I’ll wait a while and collect the required amount.

In my experience, I've never really needed the dual burner capability. A single burner works fine, and costs a bit less.