hot wheels garage with motorized elevator?

allen levine

is it wise to make a 2-3 level hotwheels garage out of 1/2 ply and solid wood? will it be too heavy?
and does anyone know a site (Ive been looking iwth no success) that offers the kind of small motor with lifting mechanism I can incorporate into an elevator system....remember, these are hot wheels...so it doesnt have to be very strong...just go up and down a foot and a half.....

my main concern is the weight of the entire toy.....they are made out of plastic .......wood might make it just too heavy....any opinions, ideas, or pictures? of previous builds like this?

1/8 will not work too thin and flimsly
I might have to go with purchasing a garage/set and call it a day
You might be surprised at how strong it can be if it is captured and supported on all four edges in a groove. I carry my breakfast out to the Livingroom every morning on a tray made with 1/8" material and it is a large tray, about 12 x 20". Never had any fear of dropping my tea. :)

I agree with Rennie. The 1/8" BB ply is stronger than you'd think. If it's supported on its edges, or made into a half-lap grid (like cubby holes for displaying the cars) it'd be both light and strong.

I mean, as a guy that loves to play with motors and electronics, I think the simplicity of a hand crank has a lot going for it.
1) No batteries
2) No Plug
3) No Wires

Makes it a lot simpler for a little kid.