Jonathan's Shop

Now you got me thinking about my tiny shop. I have an OLD king sealy scroll saw that I realy don't use for much if anything any more and could use the space. A while ago I thought about selling it but my son talked me out of it. Now I'm re-thinking selling it.

I plan on any woodworking tool I don't think I need staying or going back in the garage. If I don't use it in a set length of time, I'll consider it available stuff for my daughter's yard sale. But am going to keep it for let's say at least 6 months.

New bench, Lilly is in front of it and also a bench and vise, have another set of jaws for this bench. Don't really know, assume it is for a leather worker, just found it cool, bought it for ten bucks at a yard sale. Took off the leather strap that worked the jaws from the foot pedal so people sitting on it (CJ) wouldn't pinch their fingers. Over the weekend, it is becoming one of the "go to seats".

Jonathan, been lurking and watching as you have done a great job building the shop. Have spent some time in and around a corn crib and know that the job was probably harder, at times, than building new. Thanks for sharing your ideas and your family and inspiring us. It will be a very fulfilling place when you can get to actually do something you enjoy and send photos of the first project completed in the new space. FYI, the bench you got at the yard sale for ten bucks looks a lot like a broom makers bench used to make brooms from broom corn. It is a bargain at that price for sure.

Jonathan, been lurking and watching as you have done a great job building the shop. Have spent some time in and around a corn crib and know that the job was probably harder, at times, than building new. Thanks for sharing your ideas and your family and inspiring us. It will be a very fulfilling place when you can get to actually do something you enjoy and send photos of the first project completed in the new space. FYI, the bench you got at the yard sale for ten bucks looks a lot like a broom makers bench used to make brooms from broom corn. It is a bargain at that price for sure.

Hey thanks for the compliments Roger. Might have been a tad different, don't know about being harder, but do know, it was cheaper!!! :rofl:
Yeah, know about the first project. It has to be a secret as I went and joined Larry's swap/build so have to get some more equipment in there and then electric so I can get something completed. Guess that will make a good excuse to my recipient, new shop, new tool layout, missing some tools. :doh::huh::p:rofl:

Thanks for the information on the bench and vise, I don't know, have seen some leather work done on benches like this also. Have another narrower set of jaws that fit it also. I thought it a good deal at ten bucks, heck, she wanted more for old chairs that were junk. :doh:

Odds and Ends

Well, quite the week. Two boys are finishing the horse barn cleaning. Have some wood cut, need one good evening to get a good load cut. Not going to happen this week. Tomorrow Thursday, going to finish using the last of the good weather and daylight to finish putting the old Oliver back together. Going to use it for a drawbar tractor. Maybe advertise it next year? :dunno: Also need to get antifreeze tested on all radiators before much longer. So, with cutting wood, working on tractor until to dark to see in the machine shed (no electric=no lights!) oh and mowing leaves into mulch and feeding livestock, only grabbing about an hour an evening in the shop. But trust me, I am making the most of that hour or so!!!!! Have cleaned two guns, have two black powder revolvers currently disassembled and doing a little tuneup on them. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe the sporterizing will get done on the WWII gun eventually! So, here are a few pictures of some of the work accomplished since Sunday.

I hate disassembling the buffing wheel, hate laying it down on the buffing wheels more! So, a couple of long threaded, plastic coated hooks, threaded in at an angle, buffing wheel holder and all wheels not being mutilated!!!! I love it!!!!!! :thumb:
Buffing wheel holder.jpg

Well, what can I say, the sign says it all and sometimes at a lathe, you have to be reminded of this!!!! :eek::(;):rolleyes: (Family friendly and all!!!!);)
JET Mini lathe.jpg

Sunday afternoon, Eric disassembled his hunting arrow tips and cleaned them up and reassembled. Then Fina and CJ, Lou Ann, Tess, Eric and I found ourselves out there shooting the breeze. It was fun!!!!!! So this seems to have become the "Lounge Area"!!! :):)
Lounge area?.jpg

Five bucks per metal box, sliding trays with plastic parts boxes, self contained! Local hardware went with a different hardware company and I bought these. I am going to like them I believe! :D:thumb:
Plastic trays.jpg

Okay, I really, really like working in my shop and it isn't completed nor are all of my tools in it yet, nor do I have an actual bench to work on, but did I mention, I really, really like working in my shop!!!!!!!! Even with a 2x12 on sawhorses for a bench, just the two saws, floor space, etc, it was fun cutting these pieces of OSB. So what is it???? :dunno::dunno:
What's it?.jpg

On top of the sliding parts trays, boxes! :huh: I am trying to make everything have a place so I don't start stacking things :eek:, and as always, any pen blank I wanted was at the bottom of a pile in a box somewhere! :doh::doh: So each species will get a slot. Extras, well, will deal with that later. Can always build up higher! :thumb:
Pen blank shelves.jpg

For the non turners, here are a couple of rubber banded batches of pen blanks.
Pen Blanks.jpg

Oh man!!!! One of my kids love me!!!! They secretly bought me a cushioned Woodcraft stool for the "Lounge Area"!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Woodcraft stool.jpg

What's this??:eek: Vaughn bought it for me???:huh::huh: It was a doggy door!!!!! :thumb::thumb: We have been PMing each other on a deal on this. Vaughn behaves about like Larry, doesn't follow directions worth a hoot!!!! But hey, it is what I wanted, will send a PM later Vaughn, great door, haven't opened it yet, but will this weekend. Will get a check in the mail! (could have sent the chair also!!):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Pet Door.jpg

Hey, have the Craftsman lathe and Jet bandsaw and jointer yet to move, anyone in the area can help!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hopefully if weather cooperates Sunday and both boys are here, well it might happen!!!:thumb::thumb: Great hearing from all of you, step in and comment away, am constantly learning from all of you. Till more pictures and work are ready to post, :wave::wave::wave::wave:.

Tom, good to hear from you!!! Hope things are going well for you and the missus!!!! I will never have THE lounge area we had at Larry's that night with your son showing me all that cool stuff on Larry's computer and around the benches! I guess as long as I keep some semblance of order, or if they want to visit with me, that is where they have to come!!!!! :dunno::rofl::rofl::thumb:

Hey Jonathan, just catching up. Nice benches you put in. Good to see that shop manager inspecting everything.:D Dont see a varmit getting anywhere near that place with her around.

What rifle is on the bench in one of those pictures? Man i drool every time you write about those guns. What is it with guys, gunpowder and guns.:dunno::D.

Just a question though, them tools you are hauling out all look shiny new. Aint seen dust around. Have you used any of them before??:).

You are going about the outfitting in the right way. Making a place for each thing as you move it in. I wish i had done that.

Just one thing though, you need to start thinking of the electrics. Cause its going to get more difficult to get around things when its all filled up. And if you think you need a receptacle in an area put in two. Dont know why i did not do it ( tunnel vision) but for the extra cost I should have run 12gauge wire alround instead of 14 and 12. Now i ended up only putting in one 220v receptacle on one side of the shop and had i run a universally bigger cable (for not much more cost at the time) I could have changed over one of the circuits from 120V to 220V. Penny wise pound foolish as they say.:eek: But sometimes one doesnt think or at least i dont.

So give the electrics some thought.:)

Looking good cant wait to see you do the first project.:thumb:

Have fun.

The only reason I haven't run some of the electric is because I know I am putting up many, many shelves as well as upper cabinets along the North and South walls. I guess instead of stapling I could start loosely hanging it then stapling it when the cabinet is finished. As soon as you started that conversation, my mind flashed to the equipment bench and you are exactly correct, I'll have to unload it to put in the electric almost! :doh::doh: So, thanks for the heads up on that angle, will try to get in that mindset.
As for the rifle, that is my granson's, CJ's, BUCK daisy BB gun. Figure next year he should be big enough to shoot paper targets. Maybe that's what's up with us, we indoctrinate them at an early age!!!

Only the scroll saw was brand new. It actually stayed in its box for a few years in the old garage. The mini lathe hasn't turned a lot of green wood so doesn't get any "wood snot" on it. The CA finish I am working on for my pens I do off of the lathe so again, the mess is not on the lathe itself. I am not a fanatic, but do try to take care of my stuff, trust me, it gets used, but try not to abuse it. The SCMS is actually 7 years old! It has built the addition on my house among many horse stalls and mangers as well as pig pens and tack boxes.

Last edited:
Whhhhooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!! Brought home a furnace, propane, going to give one of my past students a call and see when I can get on his list to get it checked out and if it passes, hooked up. Pen blank boxes about filled, see the need for more box/shelves built, doing as I hoped, holding a good amount, but if more than one species in a box, easy to grab the wanted one without moving a whole stack or the pile falling over. Now am moving onto moving pen kits into the plastic sliding trays. Lou Ann is happy a bunch of boxes moved out of the house/bedroom!!! Figure I must not have outgrown playing with my Lincoln Logs, pen blanks are close enough!!! Actually ran acrosss a plan on making your own Lincoln Logs, with the price of them, might consider that in a year or so for a stash of them for the grandkids to play with in the family room! :dunno::thumb: Well, no shop time tomorrow night, FFA kids are going to be at the elementary after school until 5 pm, we are going to decorate pumpkins (FFA purchased 50 pumpkins). Should be fun, but sure I will be tired by the end of chores tomorrow night! Til then, :wave::wave:.

Yep, Don has it, used to stand for Future Farmers of America (and there is a FFJ in Japan!!!) they took the words away as they felt they were limiting and farming is only one of over 200 careers available in agriculture. No good words have ever been put together to utilize the letters, its recognizability was to great to change the emblem. Basically is a leadership organization for my agriculture students in the high school.

rob the ffa is alot like the school shop classes they are disapperaing my home town school dropped way back when i was senior in high school lack of interst..even went to our capital to try get it reinstated...along with some other farm boys.. no money in it so it wasnt needed.. foot ball and other sports make money and that was there criteria..so jon is lucky to still have it.

You are correct Larry, they are going the way of the dinosaur in many places. I am the teacher on the bubble as I am not a "core" subject area. They can do without me or what I teach and still flunk the state standards test as well as they do!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: When I started teaching I taught a shop math class, we built birdhouses and things, hey, it made the measurements relevant and they learned because their final exam was a specific set of plans and cut and assemble and my grading was measuring. They had to figure the amount of wood needed and cut a 1x6 and use only what they cut. :eek: It was a fun time. Think more would learn better if we went back that way for some of them. I have Sr.'s that can't place a set of wrenches on a rack in order based on the fraction, they have to lay the wrenches on top of each other! :huh: I hope to ride out this economic time or else I will be joining Vaughn's club.

You are correct Larry, they are going the way of the dinosaur in many places. I am the teacher on the bubble as I am not a "core" subject area. They can do without me or what I teach and still flunk the state standards test as well as they do!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: When I started teaching I taught a shop math class, we built birdhouses and things, hey, it made the measurements relevant and they learned because their final exam was a specific set of plans and cut and assemble and my grading was measuring. They had to figure the amount of wood needed and cut a 1x6 and use only what they cut. :eek: It was a fun time. Think more would learn better if we went back that way for some of them. I have Sr.'s that can't place a set of wrenches on a rack in order based on the fraction, they have to lay the wrenches on top of each other! :huh: I hope to ride out this economic time or else I will be joining Vaughn's club.

yu are joking about the students not knowing there fractions right??? or are these students specail ed students??? i know alot of kids cant figure math in there heads and dont know there mulitplication tables but are sharp with a calculator

yu are joking about the students not knowing there fractions right??? or are these students specail ed students??? i know alot of kids cant figure math in there heads and dont know there mulitplication tables but are sharp with a calculator
Larry,
I can believe it. Some time ago when I lived in Cali. my neighbor asked me if I could tutor her brother in math. He was a senior in High school.I figured it was algebra or some such. I sat down with him and looked at what he was trying to do. He couldn't do simple word problems. I remember one problem was if a car drives 250 mile and uses 10 gal of gas how many miles per gallons of gas does it get. he had no idea how to do the problem.