Magnifyer light

Leo Voisine

Some years ago I bought a Harbor Freight magnifyer light

22w Florescent articulated arm

I use it quite a bit, but it stopped working. Replacement bulb did not work. Replacement started did not work

When I bought it I used points on a CC to pay for it, so it didn't really cost me any money.
Today I think a new one is $40.

I want a really good one.
Amazon has lots of them but it is buying - sight unseen.
10X?????? I don't know about that.
Real glass ??? Acrylic ???
Diopter ????

I don't want a cheap one.

Any thoughts?????????

I have a HF one and have had it for years. Then I purchased a new one. Decided to go for more, HF was a 3X I think the better one is 5X with a glass lens and LED lite. I like the glass lens better but the 5X is too much for what I use it for (Scrolling) and the LED lite is too bright. So I put the glass lens on my HF light and that is what I use 90% of the time. So I would definitely recommend glass lens the rest is personal preference also depends on what you want to us it for.

I have a couple of 2.25x with a color adjustable ring. I bought one for loml when she was knitting some black on black pattern work, borrowed it for a project where I was turning some miniature chess piece replacements, then bought her a replacement because it was so useful in the shop. I think the magnification is close to about right for most general purpose stuff, I could see maybe going a smidge stronger if you were working on a lot of really fine stuff but this is plenty for basically every use I’ve wanted it for. I like the color adjusting feature as different light works with different material or if you’re trying to color match something competing at different color temperatures can be handy.

This is the specific one I have, no complaints. There may well be significantly better ones since I bought these in 2019 and earlier.

I have been using this one for many years. Here's a pic from 2011 . . .
mag-lamp 1.jpg
I would say the light level is about right for close work; checking chisel edges wile sharpening or removing splinters.

I have a couple of 2.25x with a color adjustable ring. I bought one for loml when she was knitting some black on black pattern work, borrowed it for a project where I was turning some miniature chess piece replacements, then bought her a replacement because it was so useful in the shop. I think the magnification is close to about right for most general purpose stuff, I could see maybe going a smidge stronger if you were working on a lot of really fine stuff but this is plenty for basically every use I’ve wanted it for. I like the color adjusting feature as different light works with different material or if you’re trying to color match something competing at different color temperatures can be handy.

This is the specific one I have, no complaints. There may well be significantly better ones since I bought these in 2019 and earlier.

Could you explain the "color adjust ring" a little more, I went to the site to read but it did not explain what it was. Can you adjust the brightness?

Could you explain the "color adjust ring" a little more, I went to the site to read but it did not explain what it was. Can you adjust the brightness?
Basically there are two LED rings in it, one is a yellow LED (somewhere around 4000k) and the other is a white LED (around 6000k) (I'm not sure of the exact color temperature that's just eyeballing it so don't quote me 😁 but it's "close") and you can adjust how bright each ring is.

So you can change the color temperature as well as the brightness by adjusting how bright each ring is (the combined color of the two rings gives you the temperature plus their brightness is well..).