Motor for 2nd Grinder

Mike Turner

I have a slow speed grinder with 180 and 350 cbn wheels on it.I was thinking it would be good to have one with a 80 grit cbn wheel on it to reshape a turning tool if I need to.I dont really want to buy another grinder but was wondering about a motor was out there that could be repurposed for this use.I know the cheapest thing to do would be to just switch wheels out if I needed to but hate just wasting time doing that.Buying another cbn wheel would be costly enough .Just "pondering" at this point...........I have a motor......I think it is off a tablesaw...definitely not slow speed. ( a friend gave me a while back...it does run good)...Ill drag it out of its hiding place in the storage side of shed and check it out..

Mike, last time I tried re purposing an electric motor it became more trouble than it was worth. Sure the motor ran great. But, you start getting into the arbor size which usually you end up needing adapters. Which for something like that I don't like to do. Adapters seem to always come loose at the worst possible times for me. Then you get into the mounting of the motor. I know it is more money, but to me one is better to bite the bullet and buy a grinder made for your purposes. And, I really err on the side of caution when it comes to safety.

Yes, you can re purpose. I have done it successfully several times and have a few motors under my workbench available for use. But, if you prowl flea markets, antique shops and yard sales there are often used grinder available at very reasonable prices.

Yeah I think that would be the best idea Frank and i do want to be safe Dave,,..After thinking about 30 min.Ill scratch this idea and buy a second grinder when I find a deal on one.

When I need to do serious reshaping I take off one of the CBN wheels and put back one of the Norton wheels it replaced. Pretty easy job, otherwise a 180 CBN can also do some serious reshaping if you take your time.

Ted nailed it. How often do you really reshape a tool? The 180 grit CBN will eat steel much faster than a 180 grit stone wheel. I'd suggest trying your new 180 wheel for a while once you get it before worrying too much about an 80 grit. I'm betting you'll find you don't really need it. ;)

I think the time and effort it'd take to make a spare motor work safely as a grinder wouldn't be worth the effort. By the time you fabricated a decent tool rest and wheel guard, it'd be easier to just buy another grinder.