not woodworking

allen levine

I saw my neurologist today.
every 4-6 months I see him so he can just monitor how Im doing on current immuno suppressants to battle my myasthenia gravis
I stopped infusions a few years back, my choice.

I asked him if hes noticed there are TV ads now pushing new treatments for myasthenia.....had no clue the disease was that popular.....well, it still isnt,

I asked him about the benefits of the new drugs.

after a minute or two of discussion, he informed me it cost approx 500 thousand dollars a year to be on the new drug.

half million a year? what? I questioned how on earth do insurance companies approve that...and he told me very difficult to get patients on it....yet they advertise it on TV. I cant remember the drugs name.

I just thought it was interesting that a disease that effects what, one in 40 thousand maybe, would advertise a drug that costs that kind of money

I commented recently to my wife, I think drug companies look for obscure diseases to make a drug for and then advertise like crazy on TV, then tell people to ask your doctor about (insert drug name here)... not being a doctor or pharmacist, most of the diseases I've never heard of nor known anyone who has.

They then list all the side effects which makes me think I would rather have the disease than all the side effects.