Off to a bad start with the jointer!

Nice Show & Tell Glen. Thanks for the trouble.

Yes, my poor showing on the jointer has resulted in quite a few posts by others intending to help me get through this jointer initiation. I seem to have had more problems learning this simple technique than I've experienced with the use of other equipment. I usually have good hand with tools, but really came up short this time around. I hope everyone realizes that I appreciate the help they have given me.

My last attempt was more successful in that I re-cut the board on my TS & got a pretty nice straight edge to start things off with. I drew a squiggly telltale line similar to what you have shown above, but along the length of the straight edge. Running the jointer again I focused on a light touch on the in-feed table while holding lightly against the fence, just enough to ensure contact against the fence throughout. Once the board passed the cutter by ~ 6+" I concentrated on a light, but positive pressure on the out-feed table, being cautious to put no pressure on the cutter and very little pressure on the in-feed table. The trailing length of board on the in-feed board basically followed, letting the cutter do whatever it had in mind.
After two light cuts of 1/64" each, the pencil marks were gone & the edge was straight. Best results so far!!!

I'm drawing the conclusion that people do vary in their methods of jointing, each according to their own style in terms of hand placement, pressure, & alternating hand positions while moving the board down table, although the majority of videos focus on the out-feed table. In my case, I'm of the opinion that I applied too much pressure near the cutter & too much on the in-feed table which allowed/forced irregularities in the board to affect the presentation to the cutter (as some have alluded to above). So far, I've only attempted to joint an edge, nothing yet with face jointing. I'm curious now if face jointing will be the same as edge jointing, hopefully that's the case. Practice & more practice will tell.

As most probably think, I've really beat this one to death. I'm on my own from this point forward. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

...I've really beat this one to death...

Probably seems like it to you, but keep in mind a few months or years from now some new guy or gal will come along with the same problem and be able to learn a lot just by reading this thread in its entirety. ;)

And you're correct in your observation that different people use different techniques for jointing. It's pretty much the same on any of the tools, so sharing and comparing our differences in technique benefits us all.

I'll just leave this here...

Glenn%20Jointing.gif