Panel Glue-up Squeeze-out Rasp

glenn bradley

I blatantly stole this idea from someone out there in the ether so, thank you. I took a piece of REALLY dried out 2x4. You know, the kind that's been laying around for so many years it looks like this all over.
Glue line rasp (1).jpg
Mill a piece out of that old clinker and add a groove of the appropriate dimension.
Glue line rasp (2).jpg
Screw in your rasp from a Flexible File that was passed down without the handles.
(psst, body shops, boating and surfboard shops sometimes have old ones they will let go if you know anyone with connections)
Glue line rasp (3).jpg
And you have a clean up tool for dried or semi-dried glue squeeze out on panels. You just gently but firmly work the squeeze out till the runners bottom out. Obviously these boards are just for demonstration and have no glue.
Glue line rasp (4).jpg
This is a little more controlled than my usual scraper which can sometimes tear out on difficult grain.
Glue line rasp (5).jpg
Despite years of practice I can also lose control of the orientation of this Hyde scraper on large beads of dried squeeze out and dig the end of the blade in causing blue words to flow like flood waters. The cure is to not let squeeze out dry to that level of hardness but, every now and then one gets by.

Interesting, I'll have to try that. Like you, I don't let the squeeze out dry and take paint scraper to it...when i don't forget! BTW, you can knock the corners off that scraper blade nand reduce the errant damage they sometimes cause.

Interesting, I'll have to try that. Like you, I don't let the squeeze out dry and take paint scraper to it...when i don't forget! BTW, you can knock the corners off that scraper blade nand reduce the errant damage they sometimes cause.
Great tip Fred. Thanks!