Pen Blank Swap is Shipped!

HEY - I got a box in the mail the other day.

Sorry - but I have been flat out busy. :(:(

I forgot to take pics :eek: - but I took out some fine specimins and added in some of my private stock.

The box is now on its way to another member.

Man - I feel like I really blew it by not taking pics. That is sooo not like me. :eek::eek:

Anyway - it's in transit. :D

Well, you can at least take pics of what you took out now, can't you?

I hope folks like maple and walnut - I'm generating some small 4/4 offcuts of each lately. The maple might be mildly spalted, but I think it is not a very dark spalting.

Well it showed up here on Thursday make that Friday of last week.:thumb:
KaLea is waiting on me to cut up some stuff to fill it back up.:thumb:
I think it's finely going to the left coast:thumb::thumb:
I will add that it has been a few places scents the last pics where posted. Guys you know who you are:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
We have the box currently.... though we just got it on Friday. We will be figuring out what to be putting back in and ship the box back out by Wednesday afternoon....
pics coming once we know what's going back in!

*we really do communicate I swear =P

Ok.. Chuck was finally able to sneak a few minutes away from making mugs for our first faire (a week away :eek: ) to cut up some nifty pen blanks to refill the box. I can tell you.... it is an interesting puzzle getting all those blanks to fit nice and snug in the box, especially with so many different sizes! Whom ever gets the box next might want to pay attention to how the blanks come out of the box LOL.

Here's what Chuck and I took out

attachment.php

Here is what went back in

attachment.php

Please note some of the blanks that we put in are green so you want to season them or some other something you might find that works for you in dealing with really wet wood.
I will be sending the box out tomorrow to the next lucky recipient somewhere far away from New England!

Attachments

• tn_PA150786.JPG
    tn_PA150786.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 217
  • tn_PA210799.JPG
    tn_PA210799.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 219
Please do not send the package to me between May 3 to June 10 -- I will on a trip and not able to accept delivery. traveling to the S.W. USA.

Thanks Paul Gallian

I'd forgotten about the swap... can't wait to see it arrive here... I have a box of about 100++ spalted maple blanks... I may just keep everything in the box and refill it with them.... :dunno: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nah, maybe not..... looking forward to it.

The box has been shipped and the recipient should have it Friday or Saturday! I apologize immensely for the hold up... we got the box right in the midst of getting ready for our first event. Last weekend was a 3 hour drive down to CT to spend the weekend helping set up and get everything ready, this weekend is opening weekend... all the week days in between are getting everything ready to go.

Box is in California...with snow on it!... not really. I have to finish up some blank cutting and Mothers Day. Box will be out on Thursday??? Pic's to follow ASAP!!

I just finished stabilizing all the maple and redbud blanks planned for whatever.
Mebbe, when the box comes to me I'll just dump it out, keep everything and refill with these.
About 100 total, twenty of the those spalted Red Bud. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• stabled blanks.jpg
    stabled blanks.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 26
Frank How are you stabilizing the blanks? I made up some of that plex/acetone mix but it still sets in the mason jar. Thought about going with the thermo set plastic but thats expensive and I've heard, potentially toxic.

Never turned any red bud Looks right interesting.

Frank How are you stabilizing the blanks? I made up some of that plex/acetone mix but it still sets in the mason jar. Thought about going with the thermo set plastic but thats expensive and I've heard, potentially toxic.

Never turned any red bud Looks right interesting.

I mix up the plexi/acetone, dump wood in, pull vacuum for 30 min. to an hour depending on size of pieces, type of wood, my mood and relationship of venus with the moon.
If you go to some of the penturning forums, you will find guys have all kinds of techniques/theories and myths about the best way to stabilize.
I follow my own KISS principal, works for me.

Sorry for the delay folks. Box should be in new hands any day now, I just can't remember who's!!
Pic 1 is what came out and pic 2 is what went in. Looks like I'm leaning toward lighter wood this time around, don't have a good reason why.
I put in some Pistachio and Apricot, both rescued...yea!! Also some Wenge, Lace wood, also rescued from a dead urn project, Monterey Cyprus, rescued, and Buckeye Burl. I have lots of extras, except the Wenge, so if your interested, pm for a goodie bag.

Cheers!

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 28
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 25