Rolling stand/storage for my new commercial mixer.

John Pollman

My latest project...

As many of you know from previous posts, I just bought a new commercial mixer for my kitchen. It came in yesterday and this thing is a BEAST. It is way too big and heavy for me to use on the counter. So I'm building a rolling cart/storage cabinet for it It's not going to live in the kitchen though. Because it's just me and Celeste, we have a couple extra bedrooms. I'm going to store it in one of those and bring it out when I need it.

I don't have an absolute need for a new mixer right now, But the way my condition is progressing, it's apparent that in the fairly near future, I won't be able to do things like this anymore. I spent all day yesterday getting it to this point and I was wiped out afterward. I took a Motrin 800 and crashed. I'm feeling surprisingly good this morning. I'm viewing this as physical as well as mental therapy.

As my disease progresses, there's a pretty good chance that even though a lot of my activities will be curtailed, I'll still be able to use this mixer to bake. And that will be good therapy too, This kind of PT/MT is the best because it produces results as well as something that can be used.

I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO THIS DISEASE!

MS 1.jpg

MS 2.jpg

PPM-10.jpg

Last edited:
You got that box built quicker than I could have, John. Pretty good for a guy in your condition. :thumb: I suspect you're gonna have a lot of fun with that mixer.

Larry,

I love to bake. I make mostly bread and my Kitchenaid Pro 600 is a joke. Even on fairly small batches, it overheats and shuts down. This is the second one I've had that does this. It was replaced under warranty and the replacement is doing the same thing. I contacted Kitchenaid and was told that this is normal! That is ridiculous. They said that I should not use it for more than four minutes without shutting it off to cool or ten minutes! That is insane for a $400 mixer.

Kitchenaid used to be the top of the line, but they were bought out by another company and now their production is CRAP. They are using PLASTIC GEARS and such in their mixers. That is unacceptable! I won't have that problem with this beast. :)

We had a kitchenaid 15 or so years ago and had the same problem. It couldn't reliably knead even one large loaf of whole wheat bread dough, it could do one loaf of white but we almost never make that. I was super disappointed in it. I've been watching for a decent shape used Hobart N50 (which look a whole lot like John's machine) since but.. those basically never go for sale. The kitchenaid worked fine for making merengue and mixing batches of cookie dough but really fell down on the bread mixing. Reportedly the really old kitchenaid's that were made by Hobart were able to knead dough.

In the meantime we've ended up with a Bosch Universal mixer (older 700 watt version), which can easily do two loaves of whole wheat bread (with the dough hook attachment). They claim 14lbs can be mixed but IMHO that's a bit of exaggeration, maybe half that reliably (which is still a lot for a countertop machine). It kind of has the opposite problem doing stuff like cookies and what not in that you just can't do small amounts with it due to the weird donut shaped bowl design small amounts just don't get mixed. I should also note that most of the other attachments are fairly inferior to stand alone versions, although we have continued to use the meat grinder for some years I'll eventually replace that. It's maybe about half way between the kitchenaid and the machine John got here as far as class of machine goes. So I'm pretty interested in seeing how his rig works out.

Actually, from Amazon. I checked a lot of restaurant supply web sites and they are available at many of them. Like DeWalt tools, they are the same price wherever you buy it. ($781) But I got free Prime shipping, Some of the other sites state free shipping, but wanted to charge me a $50 drop ship fee. So I went with Amazon.

It's finished!

Well, I just have to drill some holes to mount the mixer. Then mount it and it's ready for use. I gave it a good heavy coat of BLO yesterday afternoon. Then let it sit overnight and gave it a quick light sanding with some 220 and wiped it down. I just finished giving is a good coat of Howard's Feed & Wax. I really didn't want a hard finish on it. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

MS 3.jpgMS 5.jpgMS 4.jpg

John, I am late to the party but man you are on a roll!! Keep it up and you'll have more projects posted than Allen at the end of the year! So do you have to physically lift the machine to put it away or did you design a flip top?

Jonathon, no. The mixer will be mounted to the top and stay there. Good thing top, it weighs 90 lbs. :)

It's not going to live in the kitchen. I have a large kitchen, but I have two extra bedrooms that I will store it in when I'm not using it.

Last edited: