Scotch Oats

Rob Keeble

Anyone here ever tried Scotch Oats.?

Was in bulk barn on Sat and saw the cereal and thought i would try it out.

Pretty nice if you like porridge.

I still prefer rolled oats. ;)

I guess technically some of the ones I've calling steel cut are actually scotch. Hadn't looked up the difference but scotch are coarse ground and steel cut are well.. cut.. I guess. I coarse grind ours with a plate mill so I think that makes them scotch :huh:

Anyway I like them but you have to cook them nice and slow. Best done in milk or milk and water mix. Add the oats while the liquid is still cold and let it heat to on medium heat is the best way I've found. Gives them time to break down and get really creamy. I've started cooking our rolled oats about the same way but heat them faster, they're even creamier.

Last week I put a nice dollop of peanut butter on my oats and stirred it in then cut a banana on top, peanut butter banana oatmeal. Pretty darn good actually.

Quaker quick oats, not 1 minute, instant or other variations. Tried steel cut once, no go, it’s a texture thing.
I like mine just the right thickness, with half a cup of semi-thawed wild blueberries, a bit of milk and brown sugar.