Scrap Boxes - September

glenn bradley

After the buffet, the blanket chest, and the jewelry cabinet I have a swell of scrap.
McLaren Boxes-2 (1).jpg . McLaren Boxes-2 (2).jpg

I dig through and find enough pieces that will yield a given size of parts.

McLaren Boxes-2 (3).jpg

I even lucked out on some birdseye for some of the tops.

McLaren Boxes-2 (4).jpg

I find taking a pass or two with a hand plane saves me from any peek-a-boo saw marks showing up after assembly.

McLaren Boxes-2 (5).jpg

I have 3 of one thickness and three or four of another. I try for repeated parts but sometimes the scraps drive the design. Therefor I do a dry fit on each variation.

McLaren Boxes-2 (6).jpg

Side note -- If you don't want to go the whole hose-boom route this little clamp on hose/cable manager from Rockler has served me pretty well over the years.

McLaren Boxes-2 (7).jpg

Another side note -- I had a senior moment. After working my fingers to the bone I suddenly realized that I had a variable speed detail sander available . . . Doh!

McLaren Boxes-2 (8).jpg

I clamp a straight thing to an assembly surface for reference. I put tape at each joint and line up the parts. I add a dab of silicone rubber to each piece in the top and bottom groove for the floating . . . er . . . top and bottom.

McLaren Boxes-2 (9).jpg

I add the top and bottom (in the right locations . . . don't ask) and add the glue to the miters.

McLaren Boxes-2 (10).jpg

Roll the case parts up.

McLaren Boxes-2 (11).jpg

And tape off the last joint.

McLaren Boxes-2 (12).jpg

I don't trust tape alone at a certain size. These are borderline. I add some clamps. After an hour I glue up another box and move the clamps as I only have two sets right now. An hour after that I pull the tape on the first box and continue that sequence. I can adjust the tops and bottoms a bit to assure they are centered. Once the silicone cures they will stay centered over he seasons.

McLaren Boxes-2 (13).jpg

I don't feel like sanding anymore right now so I may cut a top off and add the hinges on one. I will have to make trays and pulls for all of them as I go along. Plenty to do so I don't get bored and don't burn out on repetitious tasks.

Last edited:
Having out of town guests this week. Had to take some time off to dress up the house. Back at it this morning. Here's a batch of tops waiting for floating panel joinery. I do this at the tablesaw with a FTG blade.
McLaren Boxes-2 (14).jpg
For whatever reason I didn't take a pic of the joinery but it looks sort of like this from another batch some time ago.
Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (36).jpg
We've all seen the top removal process but I will show it here just to make the thread more complete for future visitors.
McLaren Boxes-2 (15).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (16).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (17).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (18).jpg
I take a pic like this every now and then . . .
McLaren Boxes-2 (19).jpg
. . . just to let LOML know how much work I go through so she can rock her Christmas gifts.

I make a quick hinge mortise jig out of some scrap ply.
McLaren Boxes-2 (20).jpg
I secure the part and then clamp the jig to that part.
McLaren Boxes-2 (21).jpg
If this works well I can quickly and confidently do the rest of the boxes.
McLaren Boxes-2 (22).jpg
I find a guide and smaller drills make working with thin stock and tiny screws easier.
McLaren Boxes-2 (23).jpg
If you don't have a set of numbered drills they are not expensive. They don't come out often but I am glad to have them.
McLaren Boxes-2 (24).jpg
I use a steel screw of the same size to pre-thread the holes for the brass screws.
McLaren Boxes-2 (25).jpg
And I end up here.
McLaren Boxes-2 (26).jpg
McLaren Boxes-2 (27).jpg
The lid lines up well but I would like the mortises a bit deeper. I leave a reveal between lid and box via the hinge height / mortise depth so that small felt bumpers at the front position the lid evenly when closed. I have made lids close completely wood-to-wood in the past but never cared for the "clack" when the box is closed.

Over the years I have gathered some Amana so called miniature router bits. If you do any kind of detail work they can be handy. This is a 1/4" shank, 1/4" x 1/4" template bit that works great for small hinge mortises.
McLaren Boxes-2 (29).jpg
This is just more of me using the hinge mortise jig on the balance of the boxes.
McLaren Boxes-2 (30).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (31).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (32).jpg
I then position a hinge and use the holes in it to make index "cones" with a properly sized split point bit. You could use a transfer punch or another drill bit to mark the position. However, I have found that the cone left by a twist drill makes it nearly impossible to goof on the position of the pilot hole.
McLaren Boxes-2 (33).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (34).jpg
I use a number 53 for the #1 sized brass screws. The guide block keeps me perpendicular to the narrow edge and acts as a drill stop.
McLaren Boxes-2 (35).jpg
I use a steel screw of the same size as the brass screw to pre-cut the threads.
McLaren Boxes-2 (36).jpg
This may seem like a lot of extra steps but I cannot remember the last time I broke a brass screw. For the trays I have a lot of small parts that I have to cut rabbets on.
McLaren Boxes-2 (37).jpg
I can still count to ten. I want to make sure I can do so at an advanced age so I am a little overkill on safety. I don't want the nurses gypping me on my sponge bath time. Small parts call for holders. The Grr-Ripper has a feature for this but these parts are a little too small for the adjustable range of the push block.
McLaren Boxes-2 (38).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (39).jpg
I make a little helper at the bandsaw. This is just a spacer with a toe-hook built in.
McLaren Boxes-2 (40).jpg
The spacer let's me use the Grr-Ripper which holds the small parts down and against the fence while feeding.
McLaren Boxes-2 (41).jpg
If there were just a few I would just push the part and the spacer through by hand. With 32 parts to mill the Grr-Ripper saves wear and tear on my finger tips.
McLaren Boxes-2 (42).jpg
For assembly I use glue and tape.
McLaren Boxes-2 (43).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (44).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (45).jpg
The bottoms will be added later. To hold the frames till the glue cures I just slip them into the box bottoms.
McLaren Boxes-2 (46).jpg

I like the pulls on my boxes to have a sort of organic feel. I cut out blanks from scrap at the bandsaw.
McLaren Boxes-2 (48).jpg
These get rough-shaped at the spindle sander and hand sanded to final shape.
McLaren Boxes-2 (49).jpg
I cut little "dowels" of 18ga wire. I drill slightly undersized holes in the pull for these.
McLaren Boxes-2 (50).jpg
I chuck the dowel in a drill and literally spin them into the holes.
McLaren Boxes-2 (51).jpg
Ta-da.
McLaren Boxes-2 (52).jpg
I then use the bits of wire like dowel-centers and press them into the surface of the lid. Here I have highlighted the marks with a white pencil to make them show better in the pic.
McLaren Boxes-2 (53).jpg
I drill receiver holes.
McLaren Boxes-2 (54).jpg
And the pull sets like so.
McLaren Boxes-2 (55).jpg
Some glue and clamps and the assembly line continues . . .
McLaren Boxes-2 (56).jpg
I end up here.
McLaren Boxes-2 (57).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (58).jpg

McLaren Boxes-2 (59).jpg
This should temporarily solve the problem of "do we have anything to give so-and-so? They'll be here tomorrow." :D