Spray paint

David Johnson

After hand brushing the adirondak chairs I figured Spray painter is in my future. Looked at some at Harbor Freight from $ 39 on up. Not that it will be used extensively. What are some inexpensive models to consider? Working on a desk right l DO NOT wish for a hand painted job. It's back walnut in semi mission style.
David

When I bought my HVLP sprayer years ago, I spent a lot of time on the auto painting forums doing research. Although I ended up spending nearly $200 on an all-stainless steel Italian model (an Asturo mini HVLP from Spray Gun World), the auto painter guys generally had good things to say about the Harbor Freight sprayers. :thumb:

When I first tried hvlp conversion guns over 20 years ago, I had a Campbell Hausfeld, then bought a Porter Cable I thought was better. A couple years later, I bought the low-priced HF because it was, well, cheap! Turned out all the parts of the HF matched the PC (wonder how that happened?)

If you look carefully at the photos and specs, the HF sprayer like I have, which is normally $16 and the one that's $26 are the same, except for the regulator. So, you're spending $10 for a regulator. I have my shop set up with a better quality regulator at the end of my copper pipe that feeds my spray gun. Having the regulator there rather than on the gun makes the gun balance better and get into areas that might otherwise be too tight.

i have porter cable guns and just got a harbor freight gun like bill showed for paint last winter it works well and like Vaughn mentioned many folk give good reviews of the purple harbor freight gun.. just pay attention to the thinning on scrap before the real job

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to Harbor Freight I go. Looked the other day but got a little over whelmed with selection. Now have pretty good idea on what to look for. Despite the quarantine and stuff the store was packed guess everyone needs tools.
Thanks everyone for the input.
David

over the years I have worked to find the optimum spray system. I was early into hvlp--spent much to much for an early system-- worked okay but cumbersome at best---tried 3m system for conventional spray guns.
than I got a flyer from Grizzley showing what appears to be the same gun now available at HB. --under 40$-- low pressure,low volume. I have used this gun for years and love it---40-50 lbs line pressure-- 10 or more at the gun regulated at the gun handle.I do wish had found this prior to wasting all that other money. Easy to clean--sprays heavy and or light finishes. I don't know if the HR gun is the same but at the price--go for it