stuff

Chris Mire

it's been awhile since i have posted, been kinda busy. i guess that's a blessing in this economy. here is a personal project and a work project.

the first is the dining room table i built for us. it's based on one my wife found on line. it actually had one larger pedestal on each side. i had these 8x12 offcuts from beams on the house so i resawed them down to 6x12 and used them for this. the top is some cypress from the sills of a house that was 100 years old, some of you will remember me doing a set of cabinets out of this wood years ago. i still have some left. most of the boards came from one 6x6 resawed to 6/4. this was my first attempt at breadboard ends. they came out ok. learned a few things though. we bought the chairs, maybe one day i'll have the skill to build those too.

DSC_3179.JPG

DSC_3180.JPG

DSC_3181.JPG

DSC_3182.JPG

DSC_3184.JPG

the next is a small cabinet job i did for a friends salon he is opening soon. they are made of reclaimed heart pine, some pretty hard stuff for pine with a serious aroma when it was cut. i smelled like one of those green tree car fresheners for a week. doors are shaker style and inset. i also made the countertops which are concrete. this is the first time i do this with the exception of a small trial piece i made. it kinda nice to work in a different "medium" than wood. different challenges for sure. i really wanted to do this in my home but just didn't have the energy back then. i am hoping this can fill the void when woodworking slows down. the sinks on the pipe legs are the shampoo bowls, they wanted something no one else would have. i think we accomplished that.

enjoy

IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

chris

Very nice work all around, Chris. :clap: Man, that table's not gonna blow away in a windstorm, huh? :D I like the concrete work, too. :thumb:

Nice stuff. I really like the table. The pedestals are certainly massive. I like the way the top looks early American and the legs look modern. The chairs contrast real well with the table. Super job :thumb:

well i am in the same group on thinkun its good your a big guy becasue if your better half can move that table your gonna need to be BIG:) nice work chris..
do the legs connect to each other or just connect to the table? how did you connect the top to those massive legs?

thanks guys appreciate the comments.

the table is big and heavy, the top measures 42 x 92. everything is separate from each other. the legs are a set of two, two "columns" joined with one stretcher. they have a 3/4" dowel sticking out the top that mate into 3/4" holes in the bottom of the table. i knew we would need to move it one day.

bob, that was the look i was going for.

thanks again
chris

ps. larry, one of those legs weighs more than my wife, but she did help me lift the top into position. she's a fiesty one. :D

I second Larry's set of questions. Just :huh::huh:! As I have never done the bread board ends either, am interested in what you learned. If you don't want to post it online, pm me, as I have a project coming up after a set of cabinets that would include bread board ends. Very very nice. Saw the graphic outside the door and wondered where in the heck you were working :eek:. Cement counters would be neat, you did good and had good reason for not posting, glad to see your work and have you back! :thumb::thumb:

jonathan,

no prob posting here, ok the way i did them was all with the router. for the ends i made the mortise with a 1/2" straight bit. those ends are 6" wide so i felt i need a deep mortise, so i made it 1-3/4" deep, i wanted 2" but couldn't find a bit to get me that deep. i used a jig to make them which guided a collet on the router. that part was time consuming but went well. the tenons on the top were a little more difficult. again using a router and collet i followed a straight edge. where i had problems was getting the straight edge lined up perfectly on opposing sides of the top, when i would flip it over i would have to line it up again, and i was off by a hair, and it left a gap on one side while the other fit tight. in the end it didn't matter, because the table was somewhat rustic anyway.

next time i think i will make a double sided straight edge, by taking 2 pieces and making them about 12" longer than the table is wide, then using a spacer equal to the tables thickness, this would give me sort of a sleeve to slip over the table and both edges should line up with each other. set it once, rout it, then flip it and rout it again.

hope that all made sense. let me know if it didn't

thanks for the comments
chris

Yes, I think after reading and drawing with a pencil, I have a good understanding of what you did and what you would do different. Thanks for the information. Very nice table indeed.

Very, very nice work Chris, well done on creating the look
you were after, a lot of the time project's just don't work
out as you would like.:thumb: