The Vault

Leo Voisine

Well that's done.

This took 25 minutes on the machine.

Material cutting area is 24 x 50 x 1 inch. My machine capacity is 51 x 51 --- plenty of room.
With HDU 1" means 1" not 3/4" like wood

I still need to do some final cleanup such as removing the tabs and just general trimming and light sanding.
HDU is SUPER easy to work with. There is no wood that I am aware of that is as easy to work as HDU.
Sanding is no finer than 100 grit.

All of these letters will be getting painted.

Next up will be the Alupanel substrate pieces. I will need to be using the tile tools in Vectric as the panels are larger than my machine.

Leo Voisine

Well I made a boo boo
The awning signs were supposed to be 2 different sizes of text (Music Hall & Pub) The larger was supposed to be 5" and the smaller supposed to be 4.8" tall. I did all 5" tall by mistake. I was going to remake the smaller ones, but, I can make it work with all 5" text.

Sooo - we move on to the next step, Alupanel.

Alupanel is a clad material. There is a solid PVC core with Aluminum clad faces. One face is Gloss white and the opposite face is Satin White. I always choose the satin face.

Vault Awning build-4 ALUPANEL.jpg

I will be using a full sheet of 4x8x1/4 sheet. My machine is 51" x 51" so it is not possible to do the entire sheet in one shot. When I set up my shop for the CNC machine I made sure to get the spindle positioned such that I could feed a single 12 foot panel through the machine. I have done a 10 foot panel and a few 8 foot panels, so I am ready for this next step.

In Vectric there is a tool for "tiling". That is to break the toolpath into segments called tiles. I could do it with 2 4x4 tiles, but I prefer using smaller tiles. I will use 34" long tiles x 48" wide.

Vault Awning build-5 ALUPANEL.jpg Vault Awning build-6 ALUPANEL.jpg Vault Awning build-7 ALUPANEL.jpg

I will be engraving the locations of all the text. I will be roughing the places where the text goes and I will be using Lord 310 2 part epoxy. That stuff bonds the HDU to the Alupanel - FOREVER.

The curved lines that look like parenthesis are location for the oval that "THE VAULT" text will be located. The two of the smaller ovals are on this sheet. I could not fit the larger oval, that will follow after this sheet.

When I do the machining video, it will become almost clear. At assembly it will all get clear.