Work gloves

andy fineran

A guy with 30 years experience on the table saw just used mine on Sunday afternoon. He was ripping 3/8 plywood. At the end of the cut his thumb was not near the kerf but the tip of the glove was and it pulled the thumb into the blade. He lost everything to the root of the nail. Surgery is planned to move parts from his index finger to his thumb.
. no work gloves on saws or drill presses, or lathes. My push stick was resting 4 inches to the right of the fence. It only takes a second.

Sorry to hear of your friends accident. Good point on gloves, but I don't get my digits anywhere near a spinning blade, gloves or not. Things happen too fast and they can't be undone.

Thanks for the safety reminder, Andy. I had a bad experience with a drill press and Forstner bit break me of the habit of wearing gloves when using big machines. After it pulled my hand around the quill the bit caught my shirt sleeve. My clothing stopped the rotation (on a 1 hp drill press) before I could hit the paddle switch to turn it off. I still have the scar on my hand as a reminder.

Drill Press Glove 1 800.jpg

Sorry to hear of your friend's issue, Andy. I never wear gloves around my machines unless I'm moving something heavy, but your note is a good safety reminder for all of us.

I do wear a glove on my left hand when I'm turning... the fingers are all cut away, but the glove protects the side of my hand which will get sore from
all the wood chips hitting... I've watched a number of videos on You-Tube where some renown turners also wear a glove.
No glove anywhere near the table saw... only thing I wear there extra is my face shield.
I've used gloves when milling rough logs on the band saw, but I keep my hands behind the blade, never in front of it.
As I've said before, I like all my fingers, toes, ears and nose, so I am very careful around things that can remove them quickly.

I do wear a glove on my left hand when I'm turning... the fingers are all cut away, but the glove protects the side of my hand which will get sore from all the wood chips hitting...
Same here. Amazing how much force some of those wood chips have. I buy left hand golf gloves on sale.

I do wear a glove on my left hand when I'm turning... the fingers are all cut away, but the glove protects the side of my hand which will get sore from all the wood chips hitting...
Same here. Amazing how much force some of those wood chips have. I buy left hand golf gloves on sale.
My "turning glove" is an old tight-fitting leather glove that's been soaked enough times from wet wood that it's become stiff like a baseball glove with permanently curved fingers. And that hand always stays behind the tool rest.