and the piece of wood went 'snickt'

Ned Bulken

I was just fiddling around last night, making shavings out of some fahrwood, (related to dunno wood, but the name tells the source)...
Not really making anything in particular, just practicing beads and coves when snickt and the drive center was all by its lonesome. The work fell down behind the lathe and the other half just dropped onto the ways. No fanfair, but it was my first 'catch' I just hope they're all that un-spectacular

(pssst Stu... I did some work in the shop first before I broke out the lathe)

I would count that as an anomaly. I find pieces all over and think to self "hmm that went to the bottom of that bowl I did for.... this went to the bangle that disintegrated..." . All I can say is that I have learned to LOVE my face shield after I got a vase to the forehead.:laugh2:

Yep, just put your lathe in front of a window, that will just about GUARANTEE more more spectacular catches :D :wave:
I have no idea what's you're talking about there, Mr. "I work in a windowless Dungeon and therefore can only break bones" Ablett. :rofl:

Donut%20Chuck%202%20500.jpg

Plus, the window is a safety feature. It's a known law of the Universe that flying indoor objects will always seek the shortest path to something breakable. With the window so nearby, my safety is assured as long as I don't stand between the window and the flying object. :p

Way back when..... I was turning a wood Purse (back in the early '70s when such was so "Mod") basicly a lidded bowl shaped like a bowling ball, with a leather strap etc. Anyway... there I was in the early morning standing in front of a honkin' big PM (Green) lathe Paring off the lid when the screws pulled out (back then we only had faceplates as chucks were still being reserved for the machine laths) Chonk! :eek:

Later that day I awoke with dried blood cut on my chin, big hicky on the back of my noggin where I hit the concrete floor and on Bonerfide headache, sun was going down and LOML was wondering why I hadn't come home.

Lathe still turnin' as I gathered my senses and wandered to the car to drive home. That was the most dramatic ketch I ever experienced and to think I slep through most of it.... Come to think of it it was rather uneventful. don't remember most of it :dunno: but I do remember....

Caught Ya !

Looks like you got the gouge rolled over the wrong way. If you were cutting "downhill" as you should and moving from left to right as you should be in this case, (judging from where the catch occurred) you would be cutting with the right hand side of the gouge. If it rolls so you cut with the left hand (unsupported) edge it will go "snickt" and disappear-like magic ;-)).

Glad it wasn't worse. They WILL get worse-DAMHIKT ! :eek::D

Looks like you got the gouge rolled over the wrong way. If you were cutting "downhill" as you should and moving from left to right as you should be in this case, (judging from where the catch occurred) you would be cutting with the right hand side of the gouge. If it rolls so you cut with the left hand (unsupported) edge it will go "snickt" and disappear-like magic ;-)).

Glad it wasn't worse. They WILL get worse-DAMHIKT ! :eek::D

yup,
knew I was cutting the wrong way, came downhill on the left side of the other half of the piece, then it went bye bye when I just 'barely' twitched and 'snickt'.

nothing lost other than a practice bonker, I was just trying out my various gouges etc...

turned a pen yesterday morning and I have to turn at least two pens tonight when I get home from w***

Of course I have never did that! Yea right. That was a pretty harmless catch. Vaughn you are right. As long as there is a window I feel fairly safe.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have windows in my shop, but every catch I get and when they fly off the lathe, seems like they always go under the work bench back in the corner, behind the trash can so that I have to get down on my belly to reach back under there to retrieve them...maybe if I just leave them there, eventually I'll fill up the space and then won't have to crawl around so much.:doh::doh: