Koa box

Curt Fuller

This small box is from a piece of Koa my wife's brother brought me from Hawaii. The lid is also Koa, segmented from a pen blank. And the finial is also from a Koa pen blank. It's 5" round, 5.5" tall, danish oil and deft lacquer.

Koabox5.jpg

Koabox4.jpg

Koabox3.jpg

Oh man, that wood is gorgeous. I have a wenge bowl almost that exact shape with a lot of sap wood on it, very similar look. Your Koa is MUCH prettier. :thumb:

That is just superb, Curt. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll bet the koa looks even better in person. Is it as chatoyant as I suspect it is? I have a koa guitar, and the depth of the grain is great.

Curt,

Wonderful box and I love the wood. How easy was the Koa to turn? I bought some Koa back in the '80s for a flat project and it seemed kinda porous. I am fairly new to turning so I haven't gotten the chance to even mess around with any Koa on the lathe. The finish really looks great. I'll have to try that on a project in the future.

Thanks everyone!

Curt,

Wonderful box and I love the wood. How easy was the Koa to turn? I bought some Koa back in the '80s for a flat project and it seemed kinda porous. I am fairly new to turning so I haven't gotten the chance to even mess around with any Koa on the lathe. The finish really looks great. I'll have to try that on a project in the future.

Lee, I've only done a few small things with Koa but it has been very nice to work with. It has more 'chatoyance' than any wood I've worked with. This piece was the first I've had with sapwood. I like how it looked in contrast to the darker heartwood.

Curt,

I'm of the same mind set as you about the contrast between the heartwood and sapwood. So much so that I intentionally left some sapwood on the legs of a small Walnut table I made.

Look forward to seeing some more of your stuff in the future.