OK, now I've seen it all...

Bill Lantry

Sandpaper on a sawblade. What's next? Sand as you go bandsaw blades?

I don't know why I'm so skeptical, but geez...

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/ec081111.html

ec081111-sawblade.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

I saw that awhile back and just rolled my eyes. It quickly got dumped into the mental landfill where the laser-guided handsaw and electric crescent wrench met their fate.

Saw blades stay sharper a heck of a lot longer than a piece of sandpaper will, nevermind that.

But what about safety? Isn't kickback all about the back of the blade pushing the wood upwards? Sure, let's add some friction to the sides while we're at it.

BAD IDEA!

But what about safety? Isn't kickback all about the back of the blade pushing the wood upwards? Sure, let's add some friction to the sides while we're at it.

BAD IDEA!
Considering the lengths Freud has gone though with their teflon sided blades and other friction eliminating surfaces, you make a good point.

Where's your sense of adventure, Jason? :)

Just another attempt by someone to add more shelf space in the store for their products.

Don't a lot of blades now have "designs", laser cuts of some kind (I don't know what to call them) in the sides of the blades that supposed to help something, sandpaper would just cover those up.

Final Cut has been around quite awhile. Like many things, the dog-and-pony demos at the show look good but, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. That is to say, I am skeptical as to what benefit this would provide over a properly setup saw with a quality blade.

I don't think I'd use it for rip cuts. About the only thing it might be halfway useful for would be miter cuts, but with a good sharp blade, the question is 'Why'?

I'd skip it.

Wouldnt the sandpaper have to stick out even with the teeth to work? :huh:

Would seem so if one assumed a properly set up saw with the miter grooves and rip fence set parallel to the blade. It might solve some of the rough cut issues experienced from improper alignment though since the face of the blade can actually contact the material being cut in those situations.

Well he sure wasn't concerned about kick back.

No gaurd
No safety glasses
and fingers so close to the blade it made me cringe!

The one potentially useful thing I noticed in the video was when he used the spinning blade -- which was fully "plunged" on the miter saw to the lowest position; no teeth exposed to the workpiece -- to sand a millimeter or so off the end of a mitered piece he had cut slightly too long.

Kinda reminds me of the ShopSmith idea of swapping your table saw blade for your sanding disk to clean up cuts without changing any of the other setup ... but without the blade swap.

But on a table saw? I don't quite get it, unless the teeth are two sandpapers' thickness wider than the blade body.

Oh ... here we go:
10" x 40T x 5/8" bore, 0.070" plate, 0.104" kerf, Carbide-tipped Precision Blade​

Hmmm. The kerf is less than 1/8"? :huh:

Well he sure wasn't concerned about kick back.

No gaurd
No safety glasses
and fingers so close to the blade it made me cringe!
I'm not a blade guard user myself, but there's no way I get my fingers that close to the uncovered blade during a cut. :rolleyes: And I don't have the blade 3" higher than the cut while I'm reaching over it, either.

Well, I feel a bit sheepish now, but I took the bait at the the Tuscon Woodworking show:eek:. Actually my friend and I split the price of a 4-pack of the discs for $25. Didn't get the blade; it looked cheap. They seemed most usefull on a miter saw to tweak lengths and angles. But neither of us have installed them yet. I'll post some feedback when I get around to using it. The sales person claimed there is going to be a product review in one of the upcoming wood mags, but I forget which one. Barry

Saw this in a woodworking magazine few days ago and wondered why? The cost was $79 for the thing. Looks a little pricey considering you could buy a dedicated sanding disk for a lot less and be much safer.