Last time I checked

2 + 2 +11 3/8 = 15 3/8

According to SU

2 + 2 +11 3/8 = 15 23/64

So whats wrong with this picture? Or did I just get stupid,

Attachments

• Drawer.skp
    26.9 KB · Views: 24
When you exploded this, did you move the sides out by hand or type in the 2" distance? When i measure using the Tape tool, it says ~2" - which means it's near it, but not quite dead on. I moved the sides back to their finished locations, then moved them away again this time typing in "2" and all the dimension lines add up now. The dimension lines have a resolution, i think, that isn't as fine as the tape tool.

Attachments

• Drawer[1].skp
    25.5 KB · Views: 7
Ahh yes - i changed the "projection" to what i'm used to ... good eye!

Under "Camera" there's a "Parallel projection" option. I use that more than any because I get easily confused with the tapering to a single focal point :p

HAHAHAHA, you've never seen my glasses. Blind man walking without them.

I didn't even know you could change the projection. OF course I never looked :rolleyes: Ya had me messed up there for a second :D

dcfb9a08.jpg

Robert, I'm trying to figure out how you've drawn the model because the rabbet widths and side thicknesses are off, too.

And may I suggest that instead of rotating the copies of the components for the opposite side, that you Flip them? This will make editing them later much less work. If you want to see what I mean, edit one of the sides (non-rabbetted) with Push/Pull to make the side longer.

How did you get it to measure in decimals?

And may I suggest that instead of rotating the copies of the components for the opposite side, that you Flip them? This will make editing them later much less work. If you want to see what I mean, edit one of the sides (non-rabbetted) with Push/Pull to make the side longer.

So when you rotate it like I did and push pull the end the opposite corner on its mate moves, But if you push pull the top, the top on the opposite end moves, like wise for the bottom

But if you flip it the other side is upside down which puts the rabbit for the drawer bottom at the top, and outside I'm confused, Right?

I drew the end in this procedure
Rectangle, started it typed in the dimension
push pull, started it typed in the dimension
Rectangle, for the rabbits for the sides to fit in, started the rectangle and typed in the dimensions for both ends .

Push/pulled the rabbit in by starting it and typing in the dimensions on the first one. double clicked on the second one so it would follow suit.

Used the ctrl key and the move tool to copy it, moved it to the other end and rotated it

I always type in my dimensions, so how it got off who knows. some guy spent a couple hours on the phone with me last year showing me things like that :thumb:

The grooves for the drawer bottom on the front and back piece each have an extraneous surface at one end. When I delete the line across the groove closing that surface, I lose the entire face of the piece. That extra surface extends out into the rabbet on the edge ~0", so that may be what is screwing up the dimension.

I also find it easier to use Scale to push one face through to -1 on a copied component. That way everything you do to one is mirrored by the other.

Edited to add image.

Drawer.jpg

Last edited:
How did you get it to measure in decimals?

Window>Model Info>Units

So when you rotate it like I did and push pull the end the opposite corner on its mate moves, But if you push pull the top, the top on the opposite end moves, like wise for the bottom

But if you flip it the other side is upside down which puts the rabbit for the drawer bottom at the top, and outside I'm confused, Right?

What you're thinking of as "flip" is still a Rotate operation in SketchUp. Flip is essentially a mirror comand. Delete one side and the front or back. Make new copies of the remaining parts (Ctrl+Move) and move them into approximate positions. You'll do this on one part at a time. While the copy is selected, right click and choose Flip and the appropritate axis color to flip along.

You can also do this with the Scale tool. I think I have a video clip that shows that somewhere. I'll find it and post a link.

I drew the end in this procedure
Rectangle, started it typed in the dimension
push pull, started it typed in the dimension
Rectangle, for the rabbits for the sides to fit in, started the rectangle and typed in the dimensions for both ends .

Push/pulled the rabbit in by starting it and typing in the dimensions on the first one. double clicked on the second one so it would follow suit.

Used the ctrl key and the move tool to copy it, moved it to the other end and rotated it

Rotate is the problem. See above.

I always type in my dimensions, so how it got off who knows.

Hmm... I wonder. I'll look into that.

some guy spent a couple hours on the phone with me last year showing me things like that :thumb:

What sort of clown would spend hours on the phone? :rolleyes::D

There's a little more to this than cleaning up the model although there is certainly a problem there. Good catch Jerry.

Robert, how did you go about drawing the dadoes in the ends of the box? It looks like you pushed from one end and pushed too far.

Take a look at my version of your file. Your drawing is closer to the origin. Notice that I have set the line color by axis. Notice how the lines on the long sides are black, not green. This indicates these components aren't drawn on axis.

I just redrew the parts off to the side and had no trouble getting exact dimensions. I did the drawing with Units set to Fractional and Precision set to 1/64" as you did. Then I changed the units to Decimal.

Also, try editing my version of your drawer box as I mentioned before. Notice how the opposing component behaves.

Attachments

• Drawer1.skp
    27 KB · Views: 4
I meant what sort of clown would spend hours talking to you on the phone. :D

If he knew half of what he should know, he could have cut that time in half. :rofl:

There's a little more to this than cleaning up the model although there is certainly a problem there. Good catch Jerry.

Robert, how did you go about drawing the dadoes in the ends of the box? It looks like you pushed from one end and pushed too far.

Drew a rectangle on the face and pushed it from the inside towards the outside

Take a look at my version of your file. Your drawing is closer to the origin. Notice that I have set the line color by axis. Notice how the lines on the long sides are black, not green. This indicates these components aren't drawn on axis.

I see that now

I just redrew the parts off to the side and had no trouble getting exact dimensions. I did the drawing with Units set to Fractional and Precision set to 1/64" as you did. Then I changed the units to Decimal.

Also, try editing my version of your drawer box as I mentioned before. Notice how the opposing component behaves.

I see what your getting at now.