Loose Miter Gauge

jim crockett

Has anyone ever repaired a loose miter gauge by drilling, tapping, and inserting setscrews along the bar? I've seen this suggested in some books and it sounds reasonable as that is how Incra makes their bars adjustable. Wondering how much of a job it would be and what type of setscrew (cup point, flat point, nylon point, etc.) would work best. Temporarily I have added the metal type tape to the sides of the bar and that has helped but I know it isn't going to last long. Should get an aftermarket gauge but just can't afford one right now - oil and food gotta come first, I guess!

JimC

To answer your specific question about adding tapped holes, a magazine showed that as a fix. There were issues in getting the set screws just-right and then keeping them there. Loc-tite gave some success. The best version used nylon set screws which held their position better but wore quickly. I just use foil tape like you find for HVAC work; not the thicker stuff with the rubbery backing, just foil tape with a thin adhesive coating.

To answer your specific question about adding tapped holes, a magazine showed that as a fix. There were issues in getting the set screws just-right and then keeping them there. Loc-tite gave some success. The best version used nylon set screws which held their position better but wore quickly. I just use foil tape like you find for HVAC work; not the thicker stuff with the rubbery backing, just foil tape with a thin adhesive coating.

I am with Glenn. I have a Craftsman TS and the mitre gauge bar has these little grub screws in them. What a pain. They dont seem to stay put. I have been threatening to use the toughest loctite out there but then I figured not worth it since I plan on getting a decent one to solve the problem. If you dont have them already my vote would go with Scott and Stu and punch dimples.

Have tried the dimpling and it works for about 4-5 uses of the ts, then the bar is loose again. I guess I should mention that my tabletop and miter bar are both aluminum - Craftsman 21380 job-site saw with wheeled, folding stand. Love the saw but the miter gauge is a pain!

JimC

If i were going to drill and add set screws, i'd drill and tap all the way through the bar and use two short set screws at each hole - one to take up the slack in the slot, the other run up tight behind it as a lock screw.
I suppose the lock-tite would work too, but my first pass would be with the punch making dimples.