double deluge.......

Frank Fusco

.....and very expensive.
More than a week ago I had the shut-off valve on the top of a whole house water filter go bad. This was on Sunday. Wife would not let me shut it off as she wanted the toilets to work. (Don't ask...she is a wife. Enuf said.) So it ran for nearly two days until a plumber replaced the unit. Of course, the end of my shop near the lathe was wet. And much of the water seeped into the finished part of the lower level (hillside house) and soaked the carpet. I started vacuuming water. I vacuumed several times a day for a week thinking the water was seeping back from the soaked carpet. Finally called a guy with a clean-up service. He got the water up but we noticed puddles forming around the pressure tank. On examination we found the tank was leaking. Ain't I lucky? Two leaks a foot from each other busting loose at the same time. :(
So, at 4:15 p.m. I called the plumber. Shop closed at 4 p.m. meaning I had to pay nite time rates. :(:(
I now have a new pressure tank, bigger than my old one. Bill will come in a couple days. I am not looking forward to it with joy.
Actually, that tank may have been leaking as long as we have lived here. The area around it, and the water softener, has always been a little wet. I thought it was due to sweating. Wasn't.
Oh, BTW, there is a small leak from one of the water softener connections. Plumber wouldn't fix it. Says that is for the water softener people. I might just buy the parts and repair myself.
Big downside is when I break the connection it will drain the pipes above and I'll get all the water from the rest of the house back on my shop floor.
No wonder I always enjoyed sleeping in a 17th century style canvas tent and cooking over an open fire. No leaks. And, I usually left the wife at home. Quiet.

Wow, that bites Frank. I can empathize with you, I sure don't like plumbing problems.

We connected the new fridge the other day, came home the next night to see a puddle on the floor in front of the sink. Sure enough, the old compression fitting was leaking, couldn't tighten it enough to stop it, so ran to the store and bought a new one. Got that fixed, but then dumped a half bucket of water into the garbage disposal side of the sink. Well, a couple of days earlier I had removed the old dish washer and disconnected it's discharge hose from the garbage disposal (you can see where this is going. :rolleyes:) Had about 1.5 gallons of the water roll out from under the sink onto the floor through the drain for the dishwasher off the disposal. This is probably where the water on the floor came from in the first place, since my wife had just been doing dishes and rinsing them on that side. :):rofl:

laugh 'em off.....blame the government....and have a shot of bourbon!:thumb:

And remember it gets better....it has too!