Best way to remove rust and dirt/grime

I have a plane and a chuck that has some rust on it. Another tool has accumulated dirt and grime.

What do you use to remove take care of the rust?

What do use to cleanup a tool to remove hardened dirt and grime?

Most of the time I get rid of light surface rust by scrubbing it with a gray Scotch Brite pad and Johnson paste wax. WD-40 and scrubbing also works. If that doesn't remove it, I've had good results with Evapo-Rust.

For dirt and grime, a soap like Simple Green or a solvent like mineral spirits usually takes care of it for me.

Here are a few rust removers. I use Evapo-rust. Doesn't smell bad. :thumb:

There are also a number of homemade rust removers including Coca Cola. That's what I've used before if the rust wasn't real bad. Pretty much anything acidic will do it, in time.

If you're the scientific type, an electrolytic performance is highly effective.

One thing to keep in mind, is that after you remove the rust, you have to put some kind of protective coating on whatever you just removed rust from right away or it will rust again quickly. Oil or wax for example.

LOML uses Zep for cleaning gunky tools or Simple Green something-or-other. LOML grew up using Varsol, which works great (his dad taught auto mechanics like 50 years ago) but it's not eco-friendly, it's flammable, and the guys on the forum are going to chew me up and spit me out for mentioning it. :rofl:

I hope that helps
dancegirl2.gif

kaffeetrinker_2.gif

If it's on a flat surface and it's not to bad, I usually just use a new utility knife blade and scrape it off. I did this when my son set a soaking wet piece of oak on the table of my jointer and it went unnoticed for 3 or 4 days.:eek:

Thanks guys.

Don't worry Cynthia. I am not going to fall for that. I know Larry is as elusive as the Santa Claus. Oh wait, he does look like Santa. The resemblence is uncanny after all.

Mohammad,
Don't use electrolysys on your LN plane. Take Vaughn's advice. Use the EvapoRust, or if it requires a more 'vigorous' approach, some citric acid (buy the crystals at your local grocery store).

Actually, the EvapoRust ought to do the whole job. (Harbor Freight has it for the cheapest price).

Be sure to wash the plane thoroughly after de-rusting, then coat is with wax or camella oil to keep it from re-rusting.

Mohammad, I would try using the Sandflex Hand Blocks first before the rust remover. Try the fine first and if that does work that well try the medium, but don't go coarser than that. You can use some lubricant with them. I use them for my planes and my woodworking machine surfaces. The nylon pads also work well. I use the gray which is a very fine grit and a substitute for steel wool.

Mohammad,
Don't use electrolysys on your LN plane. Take Vaughn's advice. Use the EvapoRust, or if it requires a more 'vigorous' approach, some citric acid (buy the crystals at your local grocery store).

Actually, the EvapoRust ought to do the whole job. (Harbor Freight has it for the cheapest price).

Be sure to wash the plane thoroughly after de-rusting, then coat is with wax or camella oil to keep it from re-rusting.

Why do you say to not use electrolysys? The process removes only rust, good steel remains unaffected.

Why do you say to not use electrolysys? The process removes only rust, good steel remains unaffected.

It also removes paint, so any japanning on the plane would be lost. Also, it's probably overkill for a relatively new plane with what's likely a mild case of surface rust. Electrolysis is great for heavy or hard to reach rust, but unless the plane has been stored in salt water, I doubt it's rusted enough to warrant it.