What's Cooking? Butt Chisel Chili

Frequently on the weekends I see different dishes people are making, so here's what we're having at my house tonight:

Cynthia's Butt Chisel Chili

chilisimmer.jpg

Some of the ingredients

chiliseasonings.jpg

chiliingredients.jpg

Not only is it delicious and nutritious, but it is also a well-documented proven remedy for furuncles, athlete's foot, mange, dropsy, Spotted Elm Midnight Fever, softening of the brain, Swamp Sickness, warts, worms, hives, and hangovers. It's also known as Pygmy Albino Snow Snake Antivenom. Participants in a double-blind study at the Pacific Fruit Fly University and Bait Shop found that after eating two bowls of this chili they had improved skills in wood carving, wood burning, and could hand cut dovetails twice as fast and with better accuracy. It does some other stuff I can't mention because of the CoC. :D

Use the leftovers to clean your shop floor, clear sawdust from your lungs, sharpen your chisels, and lubricate your air tools. A bowl of it will heat your shop, act as an insecticide, and it's very efficient in your parts' washer. It's a top-notch stain for fine furniture projects, can be used as fuel for your tractor, and removes rust. Better than concrete for firming up fence post holes, clears clogged drains, and rejuvenates your septic field.

Who could ask for more?

Recipe available upon request.....:D :wave:

Sounds good Cynthia. Seems the stuff tastes better every time you reheat it. I make mine in a 2 gallon slow cooker and freeze the left overs to reheat later. However, there are occasions when I shouldn't be in a closed room.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sounds good Cynthia. Seems the stuff tastes better every time you reheat it. I make mine in a 2 gallon slow cooker and freeze the left overs to reheat later. However, there are occasions when I shouldn't be in a closed room.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

absolutely better each day, and yes, i freeze mine too. That's why I make such a big thing of it--8 quart pot. And no beans Bob. ;)

When I'm in the mood for Big Boy Chili, I cut up the chuck roast into 1/4" pieces and have my own 'special' recipe. No beans in that recipe. Sometimes served with cornbread, sometimes with tortilla chips to scoop it up...

Tonight, it's Cooks illustrated 'Simple Beef Chili'.

It's quick, easy, and makes great leftovers, and it's not so much that I can't get through it on Sunday for dinner and lunch the rest of the week... :D

We have a real problem with filling up the freezer with leftovers that don't get eaten, so we try and do smaller batches that get eaten quickly...

And it's got beans! I love beans!

How you gonna get any heat out that... where's the jalapeno's, habaneros and chipotle chili's???????????????????:D:D:D With those chili's you won't need to waste electricity or gas to cook the chili and plus if you try to freeze it will just defrost the freezer.:D:D:D:D

How you gonna get any heat out that... where's the jalapeno's, habaneros and chipotle chili's???????????????????:D:D:D With those chili's you won't need to waste electricity or gas to cook the chili and plus if you try to freeze it will just defrost the freezer.:D:D:D:D

Ah, don't get me started on chile. :rolleyes: :D

Keep in mind I grew up in Northern NM, which has its own approach to chile. Compared to a lot of other peppers, jalapenos aren't that high on the scale, but to me, they are all burn and little to no flavor. Chipotles (roasted jalapenos) are OK, since the roasting adds a bit of flavor and mellows the burn a bit. Hananeros are good for stripping paint and clearing stopped drains, but here again, not much in the way of flavor in my jaded opinion. :p Still haven't found anything that compares to fresh-roasted NM green chile for flavor. Same with the dried red NM chile powder. Both the red and green come in varying degrees of hotness, but even the hottest varieties have good flavor, IMHO. (My preference is the middle of the pack, which is pretty mild to a lot of chile aficionados.) I've never been a fan of all the super-hot "Billy Bob's Butt-Burnin' Buckets o' Fire from Hades" sauces you see in the stores. Some people do get a kick out of the endorphin rush those sauces give, but not me.

I'm sure there will be some Southerners come along shortly to tell me how wrong I am. :scram:

[Puts on his flameproof suit for cover until Michael James comes along to back me up.] :rofl:

Keep in mind I grew up in Northern NM, which has its own approach to chile. Compared to a lot of other peppers, jalapenos aren't that high on the scale, but to me, they are all burn and little to no flavor. Chipotles (roasted jalapenos) are OK, since the roasting adds a bit of flavor and mellows the burn a bit. Hananeros are good for stripping paint and clearing stopped drains, but here again, not much in the way of flavor in my jaded opinion. :p Still haven't found anything that compares to fresh-roasted NM green chile for flavor. Same with the dried red NM chile powder. Both the red and green come in varying degrees of hotness, but even the hottest varieties have good flavor, IMHO. (My preference is the middle of the pack, which is pretty mild to a lot of chile aficionados.) I've never been a fan of all the super-hot "Billy Bob's Butt-Burnin' Buckets o' Fire from Hades" sauces you see in the stores. Some people do get a kick out of the endorphin rush those sauces give, but not me.

I'm sure there will be some Southerners come along shortly to tell me how wrong I am. :scram:

[Puts on his flameproof suit for cover until Michael James comes along to back me up.] :rofl:

Vaughn, where can you buy the NM chile powder? I saw some recipes that called for it, but I've never seen it.....

I've never been a fan of all the super-hot "Billy Bob's Butt-Burnin' Buckets o' Fire from Hades" sauces you see in the stores. Some people do get a kick out of the endorphin rush those sauces give, but not me.

Vaughn, where can you buy the NM chile powder? I saw some recipes that called for it, but I've never seen it.....

Not a fan of the too hot stuff anymore either. I prefer the nice almost 'grassy' flavor that some fresh chiles can impart to a dish over just the 'fire' that makes you sweat kind of heat.

We grow a bunch of fresh chile in the garden every year. I love the anaheims and the poblano. Our Jalapeno's are good too, but I find the home grown chile's, especially in the home garden with several varietys grown close to each other, to be unpredictable in the heat factor...

But those Hatch New mexico roasted chile's are the bomb!

IMHO the best Chili's come from Hatch NM.

IMHO the best Chili's come from Hatch NM.

Roger that. :thumb: Even the folks in Northern NM get the stuff from down south in Hatch. (Although the Chimayo red from up north is hard to beat, too.)

Cynthia, you can buy NM red powder (and frozen roasted green) on the Web. Here's one I found:

http://www.newmexicanconnection.com/catalog/ground-chile-mild-p-45227.html

Here's another, but they're twice the price:

http://www.chileaddictstore.com/cas_shop/detail.asp?dept_id=100&pf_id=1001

Vaughn, I'll agree 1000% on the flavor of the NM Hatch chilies.... we stopped on one of our vacation trips at a road side stand in NM, don't remember where we were in NM, but definitely remember the chilies... best taste in peppers I think I ever had.... they were roasting them in their road side stand and a batch had just come out of the roaster... you could eat them like candy... I think we bought about a half bushel or more and took them back to Houston.... that's been almost 20 years and we still talk about the Hatch chilies.... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

That's the same trip where we bought an Arista (sp?) of red chilies in a little town just south of Las Crusces (sp?)... my car smelled like chilies the whole trip.... we bought the red chilies at the beginning of the trip and hauled them around for nearly 2 weeks as we toured AZ and NM...