How Remove pallet without hoist

I have a reasonably large bandsaw sitting in my garage. It is sitting on a pallet. Is there a way to remove it from the pallet and set it on the floor without using a hoist of any sort?

There are times when I can get three strong neighbors to help. However, that depends on the phase of the moon and what form of mind "Murphy" is in. I would like to do it with one strong neighbor and one 100+ lb weakling (me). Has anyone done this? If so, how?

To be specific the saw is a Grizzly GO135 x2. The table is still off of the machine.

Thanks in advance and Enjoy,

Jim

ps. Griz left a "Closeouts" catalog with me. There are some awesome prices in there. If you don't have the "closeouts" catalog, get one.

Jim,

You already have the blocking you will need (the pallet). Get your helpers and cut the pallet into a few pieces so the last intact piece is the back part of the pallet. Have your helpers tile the saw straight toward the back (away from the table) until you can remove most all of that pallet, except the portion at the back, which the saw is now standing on. Lower the front of the saw to the floor carefully and get the helpers to tilt the back of the saw forward so you can remove that remaining portion of the pallet. Lower the back of the saw to the floor, and you are done. Piece a cake.

Aloha, Tony

two people either side and walk it off the pallet. rock, twist, rock, twist the other direction until one end can safely lean against the floor then tip just enough to slide or kick the pallet out from under it. Dont let Rube Goldberg into your shop!:D

My shop's in the backyard, so I needed to get my jointer and planer on a hand truck to get it into the shop. I just built a little ramp, put the hand truck on the pallet and got it under the jointer, then rolled it off the pallet. Worked pretty well. The jointer bed was a handful, the mass was so low to the ground I could barely pull the handtruck back on its wheels :dunno:

You can also walk it to the edge of the pallet, tip it over the edge onto a block on the ground. Tilt it over until all the weight is on the block about 1/2 the height of the pallet, move the pallet and set that side on the ground. Tilt away from the block, slide the block out and set it down.

For my G0453Z planer, I built a small ramp that lead from the height of the pallet down to the floor over about 30" of travel (a nice gentle slope). A friend and I then "walked" the machine down the ramp; tilted to one corner, swiveled, tilted to the other corner and swiveled.

The swiveling was more of a dragging; we leaned the weight off one corner enough to slide it forward and then leaned our weight toward the other corner and dragged the "lighter" corner forward, etc.. End result was that we made it to the ground very quickly and safely. Now, once on the ground, how are you going to get your mobile base on it?

P.s. Jeb's second paragraph describes how I have done this on another machine but, it had a very low center of gravity. If that bandsaw starts to get away from you during a tilting operation, you will wish you had gone to the rental yard and rented a hoist (about $30) ;-) I recall another individual how had his Griz bandsaw make an unplanned horizontal landing; he sent it down the road.

P.s. I know one of your sons will be in your garage August 11th. You could ask the other one to come down . . .

Last edited:
Thank You All,

The part that gives me apprehension is that the pallet is the same size as the base. Slide it back 1/4 inch and the spine side is off of the pallet.

What I have set up is: I put a 4 x 4 across two 2 x 6 joists. I attached a two pulley block and tackle to it. Went out and purchased some polypropaline rope rated at 215 pounds (Rope will have to hold 147 pounds). I have some muscle showing up in the morning. Lowe's and Home Depot have a really lousy selection of rope unless you want it for clothes line or for boating.

I am hoping that the muscle and I can take the pressure off of the feet with the block and tackle while the Love Of My Life removes the pallet. (I will tie a rope to the pallet so she does not have to get close.)

If that seems too spooky, I will try Glenn's ramp. And if that seems too spooky,
I can get two sets of muscle (+ my fraction of a muscle) on Saturday.

Enjoy,

Jim

Thank You All,

The part that gives me apprehension is that the pallet is the same size as the base. Slide it back 1/4 inch and the spine side is off of the pallet.

What I have set up is: I put a 4 x 4 across two 2 x 6 joists. I attached a two pulley block and tackle to it. Went out and purchased some polypropaline rope rated at 215 pounds (Rope will have to hold 147 pounds). I have some muscle showing up in the morning. Lowe's and Home Depot have a really lousy selection of rope unless you want it for clothes line or for boating.

I am hoping that the muscle and I can take the pressure off of the feet with the block and tackle while the Love Of My Life removes the pallet. (I will tie a rope to the pallet so she does not have to get close.)

If that seems too spooky, I will try Glenn's ramp. And if that seems too spooky,
I can get two sets of muscle (+ my fraction of a muscle) on Saturday.

Enjoy,

Jim

hey glenn,, this has a tint of stubborness in it i think:) i am man i can do this:) be careful jim leverage is your freind but can also be your enemy..get help in the form of hoist or people

I've got a chain host I use for stuff like this. depending on the weight, I'll either hook it on a rafter or use some 2x4 from the ground to the rafter for extra support.

I've used it to lift my band saw, radial arm saw, and a variety of other heavy stuff. I imagine as I get older I'll find more and more things to use for it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html
image_4280.jpg

I've got a chain host I use for stuff like this. depending on the weight, I'll either hook it on a rafter or use some 2x4 from the ground to the rafter for extra support.

I've used it to lift my band saw, radial arm saw, and a variety of other heavy stuff. I imagine as I get older I'll find more and more things to use for it.

Ok, So I just re-read the title and I understand that you specifically said 'No Hoist'. What can I say, I'm just feeling a little rebellious today! :rofl:

Thought I would chime in for dear old dad so you guys wouldn't fear (like I did) that his silence meant he was lying under a bandsaw in his shop. . . . The bandsaw is on the ground thanks to a neighbor and all is well.

Wow what a neighbor he must have.:thumb::thumb: Great when you need the odd fridge moved or bandsaw lifted off a pallet (by shear strenght :eek::eek:). His name was Jethro ( from beverly hillbillies fame ) right. :rofl::rofl: So no picks of this event? :dunno::dunno: You do know that we need pics.