Shop Renovation: Ned's Shop gets a facelift: Relocation plans

If you've got a local re-store, check for ceiling tiles and track, our local one had a big stack of all of it last time I was over there. Skinning the inside walls will be a good thing, has been great having the wall space on my shop.

FWIW, Ned...

I didn't have a workable shop until I learned that lumber storage and shop cannot occupy the same room. Now the shop is 24x36 and the lumber is stored in an enclosed trailer along side the building. The assembly area in the shop is where the car can be parked if needed. Not often. :D: :dunno:

If you've got a local re-store, check for ceiling tiles and track, our local one had a big stack of all of it last time I was over there. Skinning the inside walls will be a good thing, has been great having the wall space on my shop.
I'll have to see what they have, google says there is one, but I'm not making a special trip right now (trying to keep trips to minimum at the moment)

FWIW, Ned...

I didn't have a workable shop until I learned that lumber storage and shop cannot occupy the same room. Now the shop is 24x36 and the lumber is stored in an enclosed trailer along side the building. The assembly area in the shop is where the car can be parked if needed. Not often. :D: :dunno:

Carol,
I can see that, to a point. HOwever I've pretty well carved as much square footage out of the back yard as I am going to get. (Lori still doesn't like where I put the shop... If I could pick it up, rotate and move it about 30' she'd be much happier) SO, I'm going to shrink my storage to one corner of the shop, and will be parking a couple of mobile tools in front of it (jointer, planer, DC). I'm Seriously considering building a tansu style storage system to gain access to the loft which is 11' up in the air. I wouldn't need or want to make stairs all the way up there, just to about the 6 or 8' height. I do have the 'luxury' of a lot of vertical space in my shop, which makes the relatively cramped 240sf footprint seem much larger.

here's a shot of the end wall:

the doorway is 7' tall, the sill plate is 10' and there's about 4' above that...

Here's a view of the loft space, taken from outside the shop:

We currently have a bunch of light stuff up there... but I'd love to be able to use that loft for more than just long term storage.

Last edited:

Got the entire wall 'cleaned off' of racks, then backfilled all of the insulation into the corner (figuring that now was the time to insulate before I cover it with lumber).

I have 82" of space below the sheet goods rack. I figure that I can safely put only about 2' high worth of stacked lumber on these racks, so I spaced the shelves at 5' and then 3' (and then 'floor' (though I really figure that boxes or some such will wind up on the floor, or possibly some rolling bins for cut-offs etc..

Until I get around to building a short's bin, I've got to put them somewhere. To that end I'm going to hang about 4 pairs of arms at about 18" apart. I started just above eye level before my drill battery went south (need to pick up some new ones when I can). Decided I could post these pics before heading out and swapping for the other battery I had charging.

Thanks for taking us with you in this ride, I'm sure that we all will benefit from your ideas and solutions. Refurbishing completely a shop is no easy task.

Looks like you have some sheetrock hanging around in that loft rack...can you use it on the walls or are they mostly bits and pieces? My dad put OSB on the first 4' to avoid dings and such and then sheetrock above. He has 10' ceilings and even without it mudded or painted it improved the lighting quite a bit.

Thanks for taking us with you in this ride, I'm sure that we all will benefit from your ideas and solutions. Refurbishing completely a shop is no easy task.
Toni, nice to be back in action, the past year has really been a trial, with virtually zero shop time. And this refit is just about required; I figure I would be moving nearly as much stuff out of my way to try and get anything done if I'd left it. Might as well do it 'right' or as close to that as I can manage with the funds and abilities I have.

Looks like you have some sheetrock hanging around in that loft rack...can you use it on the walls or are they mostly bits and pieces? My dad put OSB on the first 4' to avoid dings and such and then sheetrock above. He has 10' ceilings and even without it mudded or painted it improved the lighting quite a bit.

Jeff, that rock is earmarked for a bathroom reno once i get the shop habitable. It is mostly 'moisture resistant' rock. I think I'm going to be pretty good on the light factor in the long run. I figure the area under the loft is mostly going to be for storage and turning (if I leave my lathe stand where it sits now. I have pegboard on the 'west' wall already, and I have more up in the sheet goods rack. I'm at least a week away from being ready to do so, but I don't have any 'better' use for the pegboard, so I'll throw that up over the ply on the north wall (as well as finally install that window that is just sitting in the framed opening).

Back to today's progress.

First off, here's a long view showing the loft from roughly the SE corner of the shop.

the 'vertical stack of lumber is now on the rack almost as intended (I didn't have as much cherry long lumber as I thought.... or most of it went on the high storage racks already.

the lower level is 'all' maple:

and the upper is long cherry, plus mid length maple and other species (a bit of chocolate, some butternut, etc...)

the 'shorts' section didn't quite work as well as I thought... the 'shorts' were short-ish, and I'm trying to keep things out of the front half of the shop.

cherry on the upper level

Maple on the lower section:

Ned I saw you say something about solar. I have used passive solar the last two years and it worked great the first year and not so great last winter. All I did was put a clear plastic sheet up in front of my south facing garage door. The difference was that last winter I had to buy more poly film and what I got was much more cloudy and it really cut down on the heating effect...

This is the single best resource I have found
http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

This project is what I tried to copy cheaply.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarGarageCollector/garcol.htm

GArry

Ned I saw you say something about solar. I have used passive solar the last two years and it worked great the first year and not so great last winter. All I did was put a clear plastic sheet up in front of my south facing garage door. The difference was that last winter I had to buy more poly film and what I got was much more cloudy and it really cut down on the heating effect...

This is the single best resource I have found
http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

This project is what I tried to copy cheaply.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarGarageCollector/garcol.htm

GArry
Garry
thanks those are already bookmarked on my computer. My plan is to hang two main 'banks' of vertical syphons similar to these:
Solar Barn/Workshop
except I'll be using something similar to this:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/HouseTS/RobTS.htm

Basically I'm going to use OSB panels with 2x6 frames on them, punching two holes per panel through to the shop, one set on the South/Eastern corner (wrapping around), as well as a larger 'window' unit on the west side (figuring that every erg I get 'free' is worth building a collector for. My shop is Not ideally located to take best advantage of a true southern exposure, but I'll get what I can out of it. Worse comes to worst, I have my kero heater for the deepest cold days as well.

Another thing which I have Not done since building the shop is to tighten up the soffet areas, or to truly close off the door and eastern end of the building. Both of those are on my punch list as well. First I'll be revising the entrance, then over a weekend or two I'll be cutting soffet panels to fit, closing off most of the drafts I've had to deal with in the past.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the reminder. There was a BUNCH of new links on there, loads more than the last time I visited it!

Morning y'all!

I did a quick sketch of my shop layout as I hope to have it wind up. After yesterday's progress, I figured it would be useful to know where I should put things. :D

and yes, I'm old school, despite having Dave here on the forums, I've never gotten comfortable with Sketchup. Pen and paper will have to do.

Attachments

• shop plan.jpg
    shop plan.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
Garry
thanks those are already bookmarked on my computer. My plan is to hang two main 'banks' of vertical syphons similar to these:
Solar Barn/Workshop
except I'll be using something similar to this:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/HouseTS/RobTS.htm

Basically I'm going to use OSB panels with 2x6 frames on them, punching two holes per panel through to the shop, one set on the South/Eastern corner (wrapping around), as well as a larger 'window' unit on the west side (figuring that every erg I get 'free' is worth building a collector for. My shop is Not ideally located to take best advantage of a true southern exposure, but I'll get what I can out of it. Worse comes to worst, I have my kero heater for the deepest cold days as well.

Another thing which I have Not done since building the shop is to tighten up the soffet areas, or to truly close off the door and eastern end of the building. Both of those are on my punch list as well. First I'll be revising the entrance, then over a weekend or two I'll be cutting soffet panels to fit, closing off most of the drafts I've had to deal with in the past.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the reminder. There was a BUNCH of new links on there, loads more than the last time I visited it!

Ned your on the. Right track drafts kill heat and solar can't overcome them.

Ned you'll need to get that ceiling insulated or at least lowered (using drop ceiling) to keep that heat in. The metal roof radiates cold/heat right through it. With my 12' ceilings and I can run the wood stove hot all day long on a cold day and only raise it about 10 degrees in there, but that drops when the sun goes down. My office on the other hand, with R13 walls, R19 ceiling, and a well sealed door stays about 50 degrees on a 20* day with just my computer/monitor running in there. This summer with the 70 degree nights and 100 degree days it's been about 110 in the shop and stayed 80 in the office, without the computer running.

Ned you'll need to get that ceiling insulated or at least lowered (using drop ceiling) to keep that heat in. The metal roof radiates cold/heat right through it. With my 12' ceilings and I can run the wood stove hot all day long on a cold day and only raise it about 10 degrees in there, but that drops when the sun goes down. My office on the other hand, with R13 walls, R19 ceiling, and a well sealed door stays about 50 degrees on a 20* day with just my computer/monitor running in there. This summer with the 70 degree nights and 100 degree days it's been about 110 in the shop and stayed 80 in the office, without the computer running.

Darren,
good point. I've been considering some R19 batting up at the eaves, OR making a dropped ceiling of sorts at the 10' level for winter. Budget says that's a 'late summer/early fall' thing though.

Darren,
good point. I've been considering some R19 batting up at the eaves, OR making a dropped ceiling of sorts at the 10' level for winter. Budget says that's a 'late summer/early fall' thing though.

Oh, I understand the budget thing...trust me. I just wanted to make sure you knew that though sealing the drafts will help, that metal roof is a major conductor of heat loss.

man oh man, I feel like such a lightweight today. I've managed to put up some insulation, plus two pieces of plywood, moved a couple of things around and have just ran out of steam for the past couple of hours. Going to have another cuppa joe and try again.

almost there...

Well gang, I must have gotten a good solid 2nd or third wind, because I made a Huge amount of progress since 5pm:

Here's the view from just below the 'phantom' steps... (right Allen?)

The first thing I did today was to put up a couple of more bats of insulation then screw on two partial sheets of 3/4 solid core Luan to the wall in the SE corner. Then Adam helped me move the storage cabinet and ladder into their new homes...

I kept sweeping, moving and sorting until I wound up with a new home for the jointer:

and a pile of boxes (mostly scrap, but some tools to sift through too, once I have my bench cleared off and able to store more stuff... (that cabinet will come in handy as well...)

I also temporarily placed the lathe on its stand (didn't bolt it down yet)

And tidied up the far corner of the shop, putting some stuff on and behind the storage tower, plus put the planer on its stand (again, not bolted down yet). That stand needs some new casters, when the money tree sprouts again.

Now I 'just' have the near corner to the left of the doorway to sift through, clean up and that's where my new-fangled bench is going to go, along with the bandsaw which is currently looming in the center of the shop. I like my bandsaw, but it isn't That important in my shop...The drill press and grey cabinet need to find their way over from near the lumber racks to the corner between my one assembly bench and the storage tower. One neat thing of note, is that I found 4 sets of hinges, which means that my chop saw station is going to be a very quick and easy build to accomplish.