Name That Device

Brent and Don got it. I wish computers had Smell-O-Vision. Nothing quite as sweet as the smell of Hatch green chiles roasting outdoors. (Usually in a parking lot.)

RoastersWeb.jpg

The end result:

chile2.jpg

And one of many possible final products:

7-green_chile_burger_400.jpg

If you have never eaten roasted New Mexico green chile, you are really missing something. No other chile in the world compares. It's not that it's remarkably hot (there are many much hotter species), but the flavor has no rival. :D

New Mexico is the only place I know of where McDonald's and Subway offer green chile for their sandwiches.

Hatch pepper roaster --- very tasty for green chili

Sorry it has already been answered -- did not see the answer.

I'm sure it's not the same, But I do like to roast some poblanos or anaheims over the infrared burner on my grill till they are nice and toasty black. Put em in a paper sack and the skin comes right off and they have a great flavor. Need to get my hands on some hatch peppers. Maybe an opportunity for the garden next year.

...Need to get my hands on some hatch peppers. Maybe an opportunity for the garden next year.

Hatch chile is very similar to Anaheim peppers, but the Anaheims I've bought in SoCal never had the same flavor (or spiciness) of the Hatch stuff. You can grow similar stuff, but there are some folks who say the soil and weather in the Mesilla valley (where Hatch NM is) are what give the Hatch stuff its special flavor. Not sure I buy that argument, though, since there are other areas of NM (Chimayo, for example) where excellent green (and red) chile is farmed.

You can buy Hatch chile online, either fresh or roasted, peeled and frozen. I've even seen supermarkets in LA where they'll advertise roasted Hatch green chile, sold in the parking lot out of the back of a semi truck, for one weekend only.

That's an interesting cooker. How big is the "fire pit" on that? Any idea how long they cook and how fast the cage turns? I may have to steal that idea as a modification to our big john smokers at work and see if we can come up with a creative way to use them for other things, like corn on the cob. :D

That's an interesting cooker. How big is the "fire pit" on that? Any idea how long they cook and how fast the cage turns? I may have to steal that idea as a modification to our big john smokers at work and see if we can come up with a creative way to use them for other things, like corn on the cob. :D

Not a fire pit...it's an array of propane burners. This site has a bit more info, including a little one that's kind of along the lines of what you're talking about...