Homemade Dessicant packs

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, found this tip on the internet and I thought I would share.

Yes, you can get dessicant packs out there on the internet, but getting the size you want at the price you want can be an issue.

This is an inexpensive way to make your own, if you so choose.

As anything on the internet you mileage may vary.

Most dessicants are made out of a very hygroscopic silica gel. These crystals/things really like to soak up moisture.

You know what else likes to soak up moisture? Cat litter. I'm not talking the regular clay, or clumping stuff, but the 100% pure silica crystal stuff.

FWW-4201.jpgFWW-4202.jpg

Then you could use some coffee filters and tape them up, but I ordered some big filter paper teabags with string ties off of ebay.
FWW-4200.jpg

I put 3/4 of a cup in each bag, and voila, there you go, instant, cheap, dessicant bag.
FWW-4203.jpg

Replace as necessary. Or, in theory, you could put it in a hot oven and bake the moisture out and reuse.

FWIW, I'm going off of what I read on the internet. There are conflicting opinions, but I'm giving it a shot.

Feel free to post any other insights you might have.

Neat idea Brent.
Two thoughts come to mind:
1) why does a guy living in the desert need dessicant packs, isn't the RH about -100 most of the time?
2) it doesn't say "do not eat" on your bags:D

Enjoy your day!

it doesn't say "do not eat" on your bags:D
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing.

For ammo cans I stick a bag of saltine crackers in them and change them out time to time. Not only is it cheap, but you can eat the stale crackers in a pinch at the range or during the zombie apocalypse. :D

I like your idea, nice and cheap, also doesn't get cracker crumbs on the ammo. ;) :thumb:

I get dessicant packs from the local Dollar store for.....ah.....$1.00 each. :rolleyes:
Depending on conditions one will last up to six months. They are disposable but at that price, what the hey.
I use in my gun safe.

Thanks for the tip Brent. Many of our members live where moisture is an enemy. The desert area where I live doesn't run to the extremes that your area probably does as we got busy and covered our desert with concrete and pumped a bunch of water in from the Colorado river (I crack me up :D). At any rate I use the packs that come in the various goodies I buy for my shop. I also have a few commercial packs and the crystal cat litter looks like it could make a good addition. In my area I can set the packs out in the sunny driveway most of the year and they dry out like a bone, ready for re-use. I casually toss packs in drawers with chisels, screw drivers, wrenches, my diamond plates, pretty much anything that can react to captured moisture as mother nature swings the temps back and forth every 24 hours.