CABINET MAGNETS

My wife bought a small box for Kleenex tissues. The bottom of the box is held in place with 4 small magnets. How small are the magnets? They are 1/8 to 3/16 diameter pins strong enough to hold the bottom of the box. Does anybody know where to find those magnet pins?

Thanks, DKT

A couple of sources I've used happily. The actual strength of the magnets can vary wildly depending on the quality so be aware of that.

leevalley has a nice selection of these: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1&p=42363

I've also bought magnets from american science and surplus: http://www.sciplus.com/s/c_13/sf_125
Some of the ones there are somewhat terrifying like: http://www.sciplus.com/p/PICKUP-BAR-MAGNET_3890
but their selection is somewhat erratic and subject to arbitrary change so while I check there its without expectations.

I've also salvaged a lot of magnets from old computer hard drives, they can be amazingly strong (like blood blister causing strong if two of them snap together on your finger - not crazy talk 100lbs strong like the one above).

I use magnets by the bazillion.
Examples:
I drill 1/8" blind hole in the end of an automatic pencil or just plain old wood pencil. I put my hand under the DP table and the magnet keeps a pencil there.
I have eight magnets on the DP.
1 holds a probe
2 holds a steel scale (actually there are 2 small ones holding the scale for quick measurements)
3 holds my chuck key on the end of the "raise it and lower it" mechanism so the key is always in the same place. Theoretically that is the only place that the chuck key can be placed.
4 Holds an Allen wrench that I use there
5 One with a hook holds my column lever extender (so I can loosen the column mechanism after Glenn Gorillas it tight)
6 holds a toothbrush (for cleaning threads, Forstner bits, etc.)
7 holds an old terrycloth wash cloth---this allows me to clean the flutes of a twist drill in one swipe
8 holds a pencil under the table (that is the only place that pencil can be put down)
9 I forgot about this one. It holds a drill press speed chart.

The TS has magnets also:
1 holds a measuring tape
2 holds the blade holder that is used when changing blades.
3 holds hold downs for the work bench that is right behind the TS.
4 holds the Biesemeyer fence locking lever up when the fence is not in use. Just the weight of the lever locks the fence if it is down.

There are magnets on the bandsaws, the lathe, the sanders, etc., etc. You get the idea. Use your imagination to solve your own particular problems.

I use magnets from 1/8" diameter through 1" in diameter depending on what strength is needed. I find 3/8th and 1/2 serve most of my purposes.

Oh yes, I use magnets to keep blast gates open or closed---you know the ones that drift one way or another because of gravity. A small magnet keeps the gate where I want it.

Enjoy,
JimB

If you Google "rare earth magnet" you'll see a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and suppliers.

Note to self: Don't wear my steel suit of armor in Jim's shop. I'll stick to everything. :D

Vaughn. Look at the good side---You won't need any Sticky Notes in my shop if you do that...

After I broke my back, I was in a plastic "body shell" (thoracic lumbar support orthodic, or TLSO) for 18 months. One of the upsides to wearing it was that I could staple things to my chest. Once I recovered enough to go back to work, I had a lot of fun with that at the office...especially in front of people who didn't know I had armor under my shirt. :D

After I broke my back, I was in a plastic "body shell" (thoracic lumbar support orthodic, or TLSO) for 18 months. One of the upsides to wearing it was that I could staple things to my chest. Once I recovered enough to go back to work, I had a lot of fun with that at the office...especially in front of people who didn't know I had armor under my shirt. :D

That sounds "So Vaughn."

I would like to have seen that.

Enjoy,
JimB