Stickley mantle clock - Epilogue

Finally finished up today (with a little help from my friends). I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I had been worried about the dovetails, but they look just fine, nice and tight. The QSWO from the Ambassador's wood pile looks fantastic. Overall, no complaints and I, as usual, learned a bunch while making this piece.

As always, all shapes and forms of comments are welcome.

DSC_0011.jpgDSC_0010.jpgDSC_0014.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0019.jpgView attachment 78882

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Rennie,

I really enjoyed the follow along and the final product.

In my youth (latter part of the 20's and 30's) there were a lot of clocks made in oak that looked like that. Clocks set in wood, like yours, were in almost all institutions:telephone company offices, libraries, court houses, school rooms, etc. (I don't know about the institutions I should have been put in, just the institutions most people saw.). Anyway, you brought back a bunch of memories.

Thanks and Enjoy,
JimB

I sold the clock on my Etsy site this afternoon. Interesting turn of events - the person I sold it to had been looking at my site for a pet urn and fell in love with the clock. She contacted me this morning and asked if there was any way I could fit an urn inside the clock! After a few emails back and forth I gave her two options, one which preserved the pendulum, one that did not. She chose the no-pendulum route so tomorrow I begin making a small box to fit inside the clock.

I'm planning on a simple dovetailed box from QSWO, probably one of those you make as a sealed box and then cut it open n the table saw. Some small brass hinges and a clasp and it will be ready to go!