Knee Replacement surgery?

The concern of a blood clot is certainly a risk to consider and the patient should be made aware of the symptoms to look out for. Fortunately there are meds available that can be used to "resolve" blood clots.

I actually had (2) blood clots in my calf that was determined by ultrasound on the morning of my discharge. I was being wheeled out the door when I stated repeatedly to the nurses that the pain in my calf was still there. Fortunately for me, they decided to take the precaution of the ultrasound exam.

Xarelto, an anti-coagulation medication, was used to successfully treat the blood clots. I don't blame the orthopedist for this, it's just one of those things that can happen, although had the nurses paid more attention to my earlier complaints of pain in the calf, perhaps it could have been resolved sooner, but who knows???

Another major concern is the possibility of infection. After a knee replacement, pre-meds will be required (for life), i.e. 500 mg of Amoxicillin (in my case) must be taken one hour prior to any dental procedure. The risk is bone infection that can travel via the bone marrow, but the pre-med precaution removes that risk.

Bottom line: if the quality of life is such that you cannot live comfortably to your standards, and with the technology, experience available, and the proven success of this procedure, then having it done makes sense.