Help with Data Tracking

I am using Dish internet and my time got used up in 14 days last month and it showed that I used 7g of my off peak time (2am to 8am) problem is I shut off all the computers at around 10pm and dont turn them on again until after 8am. I also made sure the Kindle and Ipad are not connected to the wi-fi (both off) and I pulled the dongle to the TV 2 years ago.

Dish said to use a data tracking software to find out what is going on. I know NOTHING about these things.

Oh and given that I have a 1/4 mile drive way and anyone around me can only get with in a half mile of me and my router wont reach out much over 150' and is password protected the idea of someone using it other than me is NUTS.

I need HELP you computer guru's :huh:

I don't know how to help ya out, but I'd be pretty disappointed with dish if they told me it was up to me to figure it out.

FWIW, I had the same problem with Verizon. At least they said they would look into it. But a friend gave me the best advise. Make sure nothing is running in the background when you are not on-line. Leaving a site up or logged in and not using it costs data. DAMHIKT!!! I am up to paying for 15GB - 15GB! and I still run run out before the end of the billing period. Since I now make sure that nothing is running when I am not on-line, my usage dropped 30%.

Just sayin...

What version of windows are you on? There are some features in 8.1 (http://www.howtogeek.com/187483/how-to-restrict-monitor-mobile-data-usage-on-windows-8.1/)

What router do you have? Some of them have some monitoring pages built in where you can check to see what's using bandwidth.

Are your windows updates turned off? Have you checked into any of the "pay as you go" plans via cellular? My parents get one from Walmart that costs about $15 for 1GB a month, but mom only does a little email (http://www.walmart.com/browse/mobil...oduleA112113-lLinkStraightTalkMobileBroadband). Of course you need to figure out the data usage issue first. Might check to see if someone has setup something like Brent is on for terrestrial wifi (search for WISP).

I'm going to guess that if you are limited in options due to living away from the metro center that your cell coverage is poor as well. If not, I wold definitely look into an unlimited data plan and go with a cellular modem. Depending how much time you spend online, some smart phones can be setup as hot spots. I'm just throwing stuff out there ;-)

I used to have satellite and that was definitely an issue, but it was several years ago at this point.

It's hard to track down exactly what eats the bandwidth, but as you know, something is chewing it up.

Anything with the word 'cloud' in it. Dropbox, google drive, itunes. Basically anything that has the capability to automatically download something without your knowledge.

There used to be some software you could load on all your pc's to be able to track each pc's usage, but that doesn't really help with things like tablets, cell phones, media dongles, smart tv's, smart dvd players etc..

One thing that can be done is to look to your router and see if it tracks usage by ip address.

Typically that may not be available in your standard router, but some of the third party firmware options might allow you to track that.

Hopefully you can find the culprit.

I am using Dish internet and my time got used up in 14 days last month and it showed that I used 7g of my off peak time (2am to 8am) problem is I shut off all the computers at around 10pm and dont turn them on again until after 8am. I also made sure the Kindle and Ipad are not connected to the wi-fi (both off) and I pulled the dongle to the TV 2 years ago.

Not sure about data tracking... but if you turn the ROUTER itself off when you turn off the computers then it can't connect.

This plan is just for your home internet, right? It's not connected to any cellphones for a data plan? (hey, I know it sounds like a dumb question, but when you've eliminated the obvious you need to look elsewhere...)

I couldn't find a cell plan with unlimited data any longer. Boo! AT&T is restricting theirs and finding all sorts of innovative ways to do away with the unlimited subscribers they still have. Read the fine print if they advertize unlimited data. There IS a hook in there somewhere.

I use the Airport Extreme Router and this is only for the 3 computers we use. We make sure we disconnect from system anytime we walk away from what ever computer we are on the Ipad and kindle fire is powered down and set to not connect to the internet ( they are never used Hate the Ipad).
The biggest head scratcher is the 7G used on off peak as everything is shut down after 10pm. I talked to the Geek Squad (they installed it) and they said even if the Router was updating or doing something it would not have usage like that.

I will be downloading the Airport Utility to night to see whats up. It used .3G last night and I know nothing was on

Oh and we do go through 10g in about 25 days normally