Laser cut items a the craft store

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was at our local Michael's store the other day with my wife and noticed a new section of laser cut/carved items. I was actually surprised at the cost of the items, seemed reasonable.

2015-02-28 09.23.04.jpg2015-02-28 09.23.15.jpg2015-02-28 09.23.24.jpg

The prices I could see in your picture looked downright cheap. Do you have a sense of what kind of wood? Pasteboard like thin MDF? Thin plywood? Solid softwood?

I am not sure what I would do with them other than surface glue them to something else.

The prices I could see in your picture looked downright cheap. Do you have a sense of what kind of wood? Pasteboard like thin MDF? Thin plywood? Solid softwood?

I am not sure what I would do with them other than surface glue them to something else.

I think it was a thin plywood, would be concerned that if not sealed they would delaminate. It was quite a variety of pieces, so could see using some for, as you said, gluing on as embellishments. I considered grabbing some of the month cut outs for making a nice calendar and painting the words to swap out on it each month.

As many of you know I have a laser. At the prices I can see on those items they have to be made in China.

I make similar items (mostly at Christmas) and my prices are 5 to 10 times those shown and based on time and material I often feel I am to low. Of course most of my items are made from thin Cherry.

Yeah, I didn't really see anything of quality there, I'd much rather use something of quality wood, mostly pointing out little items that could be added for those making larger gifts as a whole.

So Pete, do you tend to do more engraving or would items like theses be things you would consider doing?

the prices are exactly right for their target customer.

People doing arts and crafts projects with students or their children, or even themselves aren't going to spend big money, or worry if the piece is luan or walnut.

Yeah, I didn't really see anything of quality there, I'd much rather use something of quality wood, mostly pointing out little items that could be added for those making larger gifts as a whole.

So Pete, do you tend to do more engraving or would items like theses be things you would consider doing?

I still do a lot of engraving. Have drifted away from pens and pen boxes (still will do if asked - mostly just the high end stuff) and engrave mostly wood and fake ivory pistol grips. Also do a lot of anodized parts.

The short answer to will I do similar items = yes. Like I said I still do a fair number of those type items at Christmas. Difficult part is getting a good vector image.

My latest thing is inlayed UZI wood stocks. Take a look at www.uzistock.com

Note how small the Port Malabar text is. I have a secret method to do that. Think of a wood rubber stamp.

Last edited:
Chuck they look like laser as they seem to have the charred edges you don't get from stamped/die cut. Qnd remember these are turned out by the hundreds not the ones/twos. I have bought some of the 1.00 laser cut puzzles at Harbor freight and they tend to have the cut wandering often..

Garry