I need an anger management class

Mark E Smith

Ok doing a platform for an outdoor cat tree and stapling some outdoor carpet to a slab of cedar and this crap stapler keeps jamming up, this is a cheap lowes crap electric stapler. I get so mad at this thing after the fourth or fifth jam that I threw it on the ground, but that wasn't good enough to appease me, I grab it and went outside and threw it as far as I could, hoping it would clear my property line, but alas...it hit a tree and bounced back into my yard...jeez...I was so mad I left it there, sure hope I remember it is there when I do my first yard mowing this spring. Hate to screw up my mower with this crab stapler...this thing really didn't deserve to be in the same shop with my other tools. Any one else ever get this mad at a tool, if not...maybe I need anger management class, because this thing really pissed me off...

p.s. I finished the job with my OLD manual stapler, yea sure it was a little more work, but it did the job flawlessly, makes me wonder why I ever went electric..

Last edited:
I think the stapler was just rebelling against being used for such a task. An outdoor cat tree? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with a tree for an outdoor cat tree? I'm not a cat person. My wife has 2. Every time one of them crawls up in my lap and wants me to pet him, as I'm petting I say "what are you doing here? I don't like cats." Spawn of the devil all of 'em. Smart tool, even if it was crap.

A few years back had a cartridge grease gun I could not get to work. I fiddled and faddled with it. All that happened was I got greasier and greasier. Finally threw it on the ground, went and got a 12 gauge and shot a few rounds through that grease gun. Went to NAPA and bought a new one and talked with the manager (I have known him since I was in grade school). Told him I couldn't get the old one to work. He loaded the new one and did everything I did. So he said, "bring it in, I'll load it for you". Told him what I did to it, he laughed and said to bring this one back when empty and he would load it again for me to save its life!!!

No I don't think you need anger management. Sounds to me like you managed it quite well!!:thumb:

I have to agree with Steve on the cat tree thing. But, each to his own. I don't like cats and luckily when one shows up around here the coyotes get 'em. Then, no more cat problem. They are also good for moving target practice. I hate and totally 100% hate grease guns. I am always fighting with them and waste a pile of grease. I'm not going into any details, but I went a step beyond Jonathan and rigged something a little bit special and blew one up a while back. THAT was FUN!!! That's the best kind of anger management to me. You ain't gotta a problem, Mark. Nah. You are pretty much normal, whatever that is.

I had a Toro mulching lawn mower when I lived in Rhode Island. It was always very hard to start but eventually after a minute or two of pulling the rope it would start up and run OK. This went on for years. After trying to fix it and many $ spent on replacement parts I sent it to a repair shop. They charged me $75.00 to fix it. Just about what I paid for it years before. I went to start it and it started up right away but then stalled. I spent 15 minutes trying to get it started again. I was so angry I held it by the handle spun it around an slammed it into a tree. I left it on the front lawn by the street in several pieces and someone came by and took it away.

I rarely get mad... frustrated, but rarely mad... matter of fact, a lady I worked with some years back accused me of probably being an axe murder because I never got mad....

My dad now was another story...actually two... I watched him trying to hook a cultivator up to the tractor one day. He picked up the left side, hooked it onto the studs, walked over and picked up the right side - the left side fell off. He hooked the right side, when back to the left side and picked it up - the right side fell off. He's still patient, but wearing thin... he set the left side, walked around and picked up the right side - the left side fell off. He's cussing now.... he put the right side back on, walked around to pick up the left side - right side fell off. He walked back about 10 feet, picked up his little 3 pound sledge, turned and threw it at the tractor. Then went back and picked it up from the middle and set both sides at once.

Second story, I didn't witness this, my mother told me the story... when dad and mom were first married and for about 10 years afterwards, we were share croppers. When I was really young, we didn't have animals to farm with, so Dad would take green mules and break them to the plow and wagon, etc... he was not always gentle with them... story was he had a young mule that he was breaking to a cultivator... one morning he tried to harness the mule.. he tossed the harness on the mules back, but before it settle, the mule danced sideways, dropped the harness in the dirt... unhappy farmer... he gathered the harness, cleaned it some, tossed onto the mule's back, the mule moved sideways... a couple more tries and Dad's patience was gone... he snapped the snubbing post off at ground level, batted the mule between the ears, set him on his haunches and before he could get up, tossed the harness on his back... the mule worked all day with a headache... mom said he shook his head half the day, but next morning, he stood for the harness. Mules are smart, but you do have to get their attention.

Ok doing a platform for an outdoor cat tree and stapling some outdoor carpet to a slab of cedar and this crap stapler keeps jamming up, this is a cheap lowes crap electric stapler. ...

Two comments:

We have four cats that live outdoors - actually, they share the garage with us - their beds and food is in there. We have things called trees for them to climb and scratch! They love being outside. Birds and squirrels don't have much use for them, though!

Stapler? The only tool I've ever gotten mad at is - wait for it - an electric stapler I bought at Lowe's. It had nothing to do with Lowe's - it was a Stanley stapler that looked pretty decent. In reality, it was possessed! It teased me just enough to believe it was going to work, then bit me in the hind end and jammed - again and again. Now, my usual reasonably tame self would have quietly boxed it back up and returned it for a refund. But, no! I was going to get even with the beast at whatever cost. I stood up, raised it as high as I could above my head and slammed it into the concrete floor of my shop. I never did find all of the pieces. Ask me if I care!!!

I think the stapler was just rebelling against being used for such a task. An outdoor cat tree? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with a tree for an outdoor cat tree? I'm not a cat person. My wife has 2. Every time one of them crawls up in my lap and wants me to pet him, as I'm petting I say "what are you doing here? I don't like cats." Spawn of the devil all of 'em. Smart tool, even if it was crap.

lol...well not really a tree, more like a house, was repairing one of the platforms

Attachments

• IMG_20130627_073201.jpg
    IMG_20130627_073201.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
Any one else ever get this mad at a tool,.

Well, not really mad cause I kinda liked the tool. It's just that it quit on me when I was on a contract job and I really needed it to perform for me. It was a craftsman jig saw that I had for many years. I was cutting curves on 5/4 PT deck boards, I had a pile of them to do. It just stopped.

The deck was at 2-nd floor level. I nailed the cord to the deck and let it hang there till the job was done. I jot rain and wind a few times, then landed in the trash.

Suppose I could have replaced the brushes.

I replaced it with a Bosch.

I thought cats trained you to handle anger inducing situations? Stuff knocked over, hair everywhere, small animal gifts brought in and shredded throughout the house? No? Am I mistaken? :)

In my youth, you bet, but have since learned there is less satisfaction in smashing things than there is in taking them apart to see why they won't work.

Yup... I may not be able to put it back together again but I'll have a deeper understanding of its insides by the time I'm done... and maybe a few handy screws and springs in the bargain ;)

In my youth, you bet, but have since learned there is less satisfaction in smashing things than there is in taking them apart to see why they won't work.

Sometimes you just gotta let go! It isn't that it happens often, the grease gun incident actually was about five years ago. I have learned some patience. But those back pouring pitchers, man it feels good to chuck them in the air and BLAM!!!!:thumb: